Rand-McNally 730

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Harrison Transport LLC, Jun 22, 2015.

1. I just had the Rand McNally 730 seven inch GPS for my hotshot business. The #### thing kept crashing 6 to 8 times a day and the software would go down and this is the picture that I constantly seen. You would think for a $400 GPS unit that you wouldn't have any issues. Tried to update and do a diagnostic fix via the new desktop computer, but we had no luck with that as well. Just returned it yesterday to Best Buy and got the new Garmin Dezl 770LMT HD 7 in. Let you know how this one does.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ok i can't even make this stuff up... After 3 days with the Garmin Dezl 770LMT HD 7 in GPS, I took it back to Best Buy. The reason is the fact that it literally had me doing circles in downtown Cleveland Ohio. Didn't recognize where i was and didn't give clear direct instructions throughout the route. I took it back and got another Rand-McNally 730 and I can say so far that this one has not crashed. It's also made my confidence level go up in small towns and big towns alike with clear precise directions and guidance. Happy to say I got it back in my truck. Hope that this helps those who are looking into purchasing a new GPS unit.

4. SlowPoke44magnum

SlowPoke44magnum Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Walbridge,Ohio
    Does your 730 change your route when you exit the highway to go through a scale, rest area or truck stop? I swear, ours is bi-polar ;)

Josh_B and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. Josh_B

Josh_B Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2015
    mine changes the route a lot. It isnt very good at low weight bridges, and has directed me down streets with impossibly low trees. and often indicates that i should get off on absurd exits. for instance I was on i40 going to an exit on i25 and it directed through the middle of albuquerque on rt66. and then kept wanting me to go down residential side streets. It just wanted me to periodically go in a circle and get back on the road i was on.

SlowPoke44magnum Thanks this.
  6. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I use my truck gps but I swear my iphone is the most accurate. Only downfall on that is that your using your data plan.

kingjose Thanks this.
  7. PayCheck

PayCheck Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    ca
    Lol I can't belive anyone still uses rand products, I had a 710 and it was a pos, it continually froze up and then it died 3 days after the warranty expired.

Now I use Google maps and use my brains, I get some bad routs but it's about the same as anything else. If it's a low bridge or a tight turn just stop and find a new rout.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.