RandMcNally TD Tablet

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, May 18, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I have seen this tablet at the Loves and Pilot truck stops, its priced at $499.00. Has anyone had experience with them? Do you think it's worth the price. The Garmin I use now is about 2 years old and even though it has lifetime maps they are a real pain to download and the process is a pain. Plus it's not a truck gps so it will guide me as if I were a standard car, which can be bad especially up north with the parkways and expressways. I really think it could be useful so I am looking to see if people own them or used them and what did you think
    Thanks

Have a Blessed Evening

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I have the Rm tnd 730 Lm. It's only been six months and the sound quit working. It also tries to route me all kinds of crazy ways. It doesn't have the built in dash cam so I can't speak to that. I'm currently waiting for it to return from warranty work but if it fails again I'm gonna try the Garmin dezl. I talked to a couple drivers who spoke highly of them. I definitely recommend getting a truck gps and make sure you have an atlas to compare routes. I paid 399 for mine which IMO is way to much.

LumbraX Thanks this.
  4. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    I have a TND 730 as well. No problems with the hardware and I feel the software is extremely solid but doing local driving in Florida its routing pretty much sucks. It does try to take you unpractical routes, the price for toll feature is a joke, lots of roads and addresses unmapped.... At the end of the day though for me it was worth it. I had a WorldNav GPS for over 2 years... We had good times together backing miles down dead end roads, avoiding dirt trails, and twice having to turn around from low clearances. RM is a good choice... I'm sure if I emailed them my issues they would be corrected but I don't have time for that. My buddy has the tablet and swears by it!

str8t10 Thanks this.
  5. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    It looked like a pretty decent tablet. I have an iPad but of course it only has google maps. I do use an app called trucker path it shows truck stops weigh stations that are open and stuff like that. But I really think investing in a truckers version of a GPS would be my best bet. The Garmin I have is the 65LM or something its a basic GPS but for some reason routes me in crazy directions. These tablets seem like they would be a complete package. Mileage, fuel stuff like that. I guess I will have to think about it. Thanks for the info it is definaetly something I need to take into consideration especially for the price

6. joeyg999

joeyg999 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2015
    I have 2 of them they both suck. I just sent them in for repair they are 6 mos old. The charging will not keep up with the usage and they die while plugged in. Get a Garmin!

7. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I wish Garmin had something similar to this. I like Garmin even though mine has been acting up

8. HP9K

HP9K Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I've had the TND760 for about three months now. It's not the tablet they are selling at the truckstops, it's the combination e-log/GPS device. I'm on my second one and I'm starting to think I will onto my third one soon.

The first one went down for two days when the time changed a couple of months ago - some type of glitch with the software. Spent a half hour on the phone with them and we got it working again. Then a week later, the touch screen just stopped working so they replaced it.

On my last trip, this new one started acting up. The first day, it kept giving a "parking brake on" alert. At 65 mph.
    The second and third days it would just shut itself off for no reason. When it would reboot and come up, I would have to sign in again and it would ask if I was the one driving the truck for the past three minutes. Days four and five it seemed to work OK.

But overall, I really do like it. It's so much better than the TeleTrac system we had been using. So far, the routing has been pretty solid and the elogs are easy to use. I just wish they would do a better job of keeping their speed limit data up to date. I finally set mine at 15mph over the posted limit so I didn't have to hear "SPEED ALERT" come blasting out of the speakers several times a minute. For example, even though they raised the speed limit on much of I-285 around ATL to 65 over a year ago, the TND still thinks it's 55.

9. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    My current Garmin does that as well. On i-81 in VA most of its 70 mph it occasionally drops to 65 mph but the Garmin will not reset itself back to 70 once I am through the 65 cooridor. It is a pain. I did see a truck GPS at Loves yesterday that is reasonable around $250 on sale. Might go with that because I am seeing a pattern with the tablet shutting down on people

10. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Get a Garmin Truck GPS variant. Nothing is perfect, but there is a gazillion page complaint list on the RM stuff in the electronic section of this forum for a reason. Had one years ago, hated it & sent it back. Have had a Garmin 465T that lasted 4 or 5 yrs(still works) & now a 570. They came out with the dash cam variant just after I bought the 570 last year, but no issues with either I have owned.

Edit: I realize you asked about tablets for RM & have no experience with them. Just wanted to clarify that. I had what ever the 2nd generation of RM dash GPS units. That said, would still go with a dash mount Garmin for trucks. http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/dezl/#models

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.