Range splitter question

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by EWV, Oct 11, 2016.

1. EWV

EWV Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Hi have an 18sp eaton fuller.
    Replaced the gear shift knob about 2 months ago (for a nice shiny pretty one lol ).
    Been absolutely perfect until a couple days ago.
    Everything still works as it should but now ....with increasing intensity .... when I flick the splitter back to go down a half gear there's a loud piercing noise like an air leak right in the shifter knob.
    Literally push it forward 1mm it stops.
    It does not do this going up half a gear.
    We took the cover off below the knob and checked all the airline connectors which are fine. The noise seems to be coming from actually inside the knob.
    Before I take it apart are there any ideas as to what it might be or what I should look for....I remember how tricky the sucker was to put on the first time with the ball and springs etc lol.
    Many thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    That funny shaped o-ring is your problem. The one around the springs and balls. Lubing it may help. However it's gonna leave you in a bind when you need it worse. Like loading sand and having to pull a 7 percent 2 mile grade right out of the gate. A genuine Eaton knob is all I have ever had good luck with

Bean Jr., EWV and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. EWV

EWV Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Ah ok yep I know the one you mean. I will pull.it apart and try that then...else my pretty new knobs no good lol
    Thank you

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    To reinforce Neighbor Woreout's post. Make it a really good knob. And you will be ok on the jacob's ladder when all bets are off.

EWV Thanks this.
  6. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I put old school Fuller Roadranger shift knobs on all mine with 13/18 speeds for nostalgic feeling, and to keep a small piece of history at hand at all times. Only thing I have left, lol.

My 1978 and 2000 W9's have the chrome domed splitter and the separate hi-lo range switch on the side. I bought mine off Ebay, probably knockoffs but they've been fine for a few years in service so far. I do keep a spare on the shelf just in case. If I remember right, the splitter is about $32 bucks, and the hi-lo switch was $17.00, so about $60.00 shipped to the door total. I priced them for fun at Peterbilt store once, the splitter itself they wanted $80.00 for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIFT-KNOB-...ash=item3d0bbecc0d:g:uRYAAOSwcOFWbdDk&vxp=mtr
    13 speed splitter knob.jpg

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh so pretty.

Take me back to my 13's days. Oh the Nostaglic... whoo..

8. EWV

EWV Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2016

9. EWV

EWV Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Lol lost my first reply somewhere.

Very nice. I'm gonna look on ebay to get a spare handy I think too.
    Thanks

10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    My red and black 359 came with a RTOO14613. It came with the 3 position knob like you posted. Killed me when the slave went bad and couldn't get the 3 line anymore. I had to update to the new style.

scottlav46 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I would like to get one like that, but if I remember correctly, the splitter only knob had a picture of a globe on and said "Road Ranger".

I've thought about calling Eaton to see if they have any NOS. I would, if forced, get a knob like yours, but not splitter/range knob.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.