Ready to go O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Oct 21, 2016.

1. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I haven't been on this forum for quite a while. I've been working hard locally and saved a bunch of money and am ready to go O/O. It's been an idea 5 years in the making, and 5 years researching.

The problem is that none of these companies I've been looking at is paying worth of crap.

I live in Michigan and there is a lot of automotive freight around. PAM has stuff going to Laredo but only paying $.90 + FSC. How can anyone make money with that??? I really would like a dedicated run but am willing to entertain other options. I want to stay off the east coast and head south and west if possible.

I want the profit, doesn't matter much how many miles or how much home time, I'm aiming to make as much as possible.

If anyone can recommend a company that might suit me? Feel free to PM me or reply here.

If anyone was wondering, I'm looking at used glider kits in the 500k miles or less range, with Detroit 12.7.
    If anyone can recommend a dealership and/or financing company, that would be great as well. I have very good credit and no debt.

Thanks for any and all replies!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well there is a lot more to the autmotive freight thing that you would understand, that sounds like it is freight that they are bidding on and hoping to get.

I would consider leasing to a company for a bit but that's me.

As for the truck, read some of the stuff I've posted because it doesn't matter what dealer you go to, do your due diligence and stick to it. Don't get emotional over the truck, it is a tool.

I also don't buy into the used glider stuff, it is a truck, and has to be checked out just the same.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Stay local and keep saving your money. My 4 cents.

thejackal and Puppage Thank this.
  5. onil rosario

onil rosario Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2016
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this is the best advice, he just saved ur life!!

6. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
  7. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    I'm from the big D also.

Dont forget, when or if u buy the thing u gotta have somewhere to park it. And in the d it's a PITA

8. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Grassmid Transport out of Zeeland will lease on drivers, I have no idea what their requirements are. I'm looking at possibly starting with them, after I buy a truck.

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If this local work pays so well , you should see if there is any openings for a hired truck....

TallJoe and Ruthless Thank this.
  10. Voorhees84

Voorhees84 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016

11. Voorhees84

Voorhees84 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I would look at lightly used trucks in the 250k-300k mile range . It will be a couple years before any major work will need to be done (if you're lucky) .By then you should have made enough for any repairs . Look for a company that pays percentage not mileage . That way it's in the companies best interest to find good paying freight . Better yet find a company where you book your own loads . That's how my gig works . Good luck .

TallJoe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.