Ready to go O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Oct 21, 2016.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Just park it at one of those places on fort street ...... and say a bunch of hail Mary's when you're at home ...lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I was perusing used 2012, 2013, 2014 Volvo 670's recently and saw some in the 300,000+/- miles range for around $50,000+/- and I think that is a deal.

ChromeNut Thanks this.
  4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Schneider has 200 gliders currently for sale -- they want ~$50k for a 2012 with 400,000 miles...

Might ask the Landstar guys if they have much auto freight these days. I want to say I've seen agents post the occasional dedicated run for ~$1.50ish MI to AL & back. Of course, there's also the question of how secure the run is -- I think @icsheeple & @blairandgretchen both had dedicated automotive runs that vanished to cheaper carriers or trains...

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. Voorhees84

Voorhees84 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Just be aware many mechanics won't touch a volvo . Make sure you have a dealer close to your house . I bought a 2013 630 ten speed with 250k for 60k 5 months ago . Ive already had 3 different sensors go . Dealer covered first two . Nos sensor cost me 700 bucks . Other than that it's a real great ride a real comfortable truck . I have drive axle air suspension it's make a hell of a difference on these #### roads in the Northeast . I think 50k is about right . Try to get some kind of warranty on the after treatment system too . I've been saving waiting for a disaster with this egr ######## .

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Maybe it is better find a small carrier. 10-20 o/o trucks - you might even enjoy paper logs while they last. During interview assess their financial standing, e.g. will they advance you fuel money, will they charge you factoring costs etc.
    Otherwise...
    Mega fleets will suck your blood + they might have restrictions on your truck age. $.90 + FSC - your costs = less than Swift or JB Hunt driver pay. I'd rather apply for a Walmart fleet job. Their ads say you make over 80K
    first year. That's a sweet, clean, easygoing job. Probably not very easy to get in.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    By the way, for 40- 45K you could go to Arrow Truck Sales and buy a relatively new and still valuable equipment. It might have this so called emission system but ... it is fixable (Wink, Wink). It is all about daring and risk taking anyway.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Ge capital used to work with gliders. No matter who you finance from or what kind of truck you buy, expect a larger down payment and higher interest rate than someone that has been in business a while. I wouldn't be surprised if you are quoted as high as 15% interest with 30% down. New owner operators are extremely high risk.

Also id like to add you ate already 10 steps above most guys. 1: you realize you can't make money on 90 cpm contacts. 2: you've been responsible enough with your money to keep your credit history in good shape.

But you said south and west. Those are the cheapest lanes to run. Consider staying in the midwest and being willing to run east when the rate justifies it. Also unless you fall into some of the automotive freight up there, van rates are generally very poor compared to flat or step deck. If it's truelly all about profit like you said, go open deck.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That actually doesn't sound too bad to me. I have to ask do you idle the truck for comfort on rest breaks? That's the only thing with these newer trucks. An APU is not a luxury it is a necessity. You just can't idle these newer trucks.

11. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I definitely am looking for an APU. Not only for the fuel savings but for wear and tear on the engine as well.

I am looking at mainly gliders because 1) I like the Detroit 12.7, from what I've read it's easier and cheaper to work on, gets good fuel economy for its age, and is reliable, and 2) having the engine above with a newer chassis, and 3) I don't want the EGR BS and that DEF crap. Not yet, anyways, I will when I have no choice, but not yet.

I have about 20k to start with. Not enough to buy something and then pour a crapload of money into it.

Mainly looking for something with an affordable warranty so that my first year I won't have to pour $10,000 of my own money into the truck outside of regular maintenance.
    Peace of mind for things like that I can imagine goes a long way toward helping me focus on other areas that help my profitability.

As far as parking, well I don't live in Detroit, I live in a rural area about an hour from there, somewhere between Flint and Ann Arbor. Safe parking is not an issue.

Also, I see a lot of companies looking for O/O that pay something like 88%, but they don't list the details of what the 12% pays for. I imagine they backcharge for things like cargo and liability ins and then make you lease a trailer from them.

Looking for an all-in deal. I'll pay my own non-trucking, physical damage and occ/acc, you pay for everything else and have that included in what you don't pay me, and then I can crunch my numbers from there.

Dedicated runs are what I'm looking for, that gives me predictability and knowing what I can feasibly gross, OTR irregular route is unstable, unpredictable, not knowing if I'm gonna get a few good weeks and then a couple of weeks of "sorry nothing available".

Not having any control over my revenue is not something I think I can deal with, but then again I haven't been O/O before so maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way?

If I can profit at least $85,000/yr with a $13k / year truck note, all before taxes, then I think I will jump at that. The goal is $100,000 for the year but I imagine independents with their own authority are probably having a tough time making that.

I don't have a problem with taking a risk and going outside my comfort zone in order to make what I can, but I don't want to end up in a situation in where my profitability is in the hands of someone(s) who can't do their job right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.