Ready to jump!

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TahoeTrucker, Aug 31, 2015.

1. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    OK so this is my situation, I've had my CDL for just over 3 years. I went OTR for a month and hated it and my neighbor enticed me to take a local ready mix job so I did. Well after having only class b experience no one would give me the time of day for a class a job. I finally got a job in the oil field here in Colorado and have 9 months of class a finally. As everyone knows oil is not doing great hours are slim, my 80k a year job is now 60k a year and things might take a real turn for the worse in the coming months if oil takes a nose dive.

I'm looking at ltl as being my way out of the oil field and into something more long term. I do have a wife and young daughter so home time is fairly important. Linehaul is looking pretty good. I'm fine with long hours 12-14 is usually what is expected here in the oil field and I don't mind driving at nights, as I'm already on the night shift. I don't mind overnights as long as I get back home within a week like 5 days out 2 off type thing or an overnight at a hotel.

I would love some input from anyone that is familiar with Colorado ltl carriers. I'm looking at Denver or Cheyenne and seriously considering old dominion. I currently have 11 months total class a experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Utah Ditch and TahoeTrucker Thank this.
  4. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Hey thanks I will check them out!

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    There are several in the Denver area. Bullocks Express is another one that comes to mind, but I don't know anything about them anymore. Been out of it too many years.

TahoeTrucker Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    R+L has a terminal in Denver.

7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Freight is down in ltl all over. Make sure you ask if your applying for a open position, or will you be on the flex board.

8. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Thank you that's some good info to know! I talked to the local ABF TM in Loveland and they are looking for a casual that could bounce between Cheyenne, Loveland and Denver. They only have 7 guys and a couple are eligible to retire sometime this year.

I was thinking freight might pick up if oil drops down around $30 a bbl.

9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Just be aware that as a flex driver, your not guaranteed work. So if your finances can handle a couple of lite weeks here or there, go for it. Small barns are much better. More like a family,less drama.

snowlauncher, Big Don and TahoeTrucker Thank this.
  10. TahoeTrucker

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    That's the feeling I got. Pretty laid back, the TM was really helpful. Once I hit that full 1 year of experience I'll be jumping on any opportunity I can. ABF or ODFL would be more than I could ask for.

11. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I think univar in Cheyenne is hiring, chemical distributor. Home daily. If it's like other locations, run tanks and van/LTL and mebbe some warehouse work. Very good hourly, OT after 8hrs. Not sure how much OT but base should be 50k + for 5 days, 8 hrs.

GoldenLad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.