Really bad chemical/exhaust smell in cab after Oil change at Petro. Anybody had this problem?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by mariogh, Feb 13, 2016.

1. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    I have a 2009 International Prostar with Cummins ISX. I stopped at Petro for an oil change today, and after the oil change, there is a bad chemical/fumes smell coming inside the cab. The oil I use is Shell Rotella. Usually I use Speedco for oil change and I never had this fumes inside cab problem before. I believe it's not a simple coincidence that the smell appeared immediately after the oil change, but can't figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. . Anybody had this issue before? The same smell is present if I open the hood on the passenger side of the engine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Look for a plastic glove on EX. somewhere under turbo near oil filter?

4. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Can you give me more details please? That is the source of the fumes? What can I do to make the smell go away?

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Rotella has a different smell compare to Chevron Delo. Check your blow by hose/tube.

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    They probably spilled oil some place where it gets hot and maybe that's what your smelling. Check the exhaust.

turnerflht and mariogh Thank this.
  7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Sorry ck. soon for a leak from oil filter thats getting on ex. somewhere, just find the wet spot on or near ex.

mariogh and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  8. proxystein

proxystein Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2016
    ^^ That might be the answer . My current company uses Shell Rotella and when they spill the oil it smells like Kerosene until it all burns off..

mariogh and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  9. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    That makes sense. Will look for that spill.I thought it might be something worse. Thanks everybody for your replies

baha Thanks this.
  10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, check for a spill, or too much grease in a ujoint that got flung onto the DPF and is burning from the exhaust heat.

mariogh Thanks this.
  11. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    After I changed the oil in my truck I had a bad smell, too. But I took a shower n it went away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.