Really bad one.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Snailexpress, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    http://www.ksl.com/?sid=41905784&ni...nd-remains-closed-after-fiery-semitruck-crash

GRANTSVILLE — Two people are dead after a fiery crash involving two semitrucks in Tooele County.

The crash shut a seven-mile stretch of I-80 near Grantsville in both directions for over six hours. An eastbound lane reopened shortly after 10 a.m., but westbound lanes could remain closed most of the day, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.

A flatbed semitruck hauling a military vehicle was eastbound on I-80 around 3 a.m. when it rolled into the median west of Grantsville, Utah Highway Patrol said. The military vehicle broke free from the flatbed and rolled into the westbound lanes.

A FedEx semitruck headed west hit the military vehicle and burst into flames. A co-driver of the FedEx truck was killed, according to officers. The driver survived but was injured; however, the condition of the driver is unknown.

The driver of the semitruck hauling the military vehicle was also killed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I sure hope the amazon and bay purchasers bought fed ex insurance with the internet trinkets being shipped...

I wonder if excessive speed or some other condition caused the military load to break loose?

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Hmmm hope the new muffler wasnt on either of those trucks.

5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Sad 2 people lost their lives. Wonder if the flatbed hauler only had 2 or 4 chains on that ld.. One of Not sure of what it was or weight. But some drivers get lazy in securing their lds.

drvrtech77 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Westbound will be closed till tomorrow. They're going to have to repave the road. And they're still cleaning up the mess. Just got the fed ex fire doused around 11:30 MST. Eastbound is crawling through in the emergency lane.

Traffic got diverted to go back but there's still some trucks sitting there. Guess they can't backup 200 feet to hit that turnaround spot. They'd rather sit out there in the middle of nowhere.

If you really have to head westbound. You're alternatives are to take 15 north to 84. Take exit 5 which is past the Flying J at exit 7. And take that route in to nevada. You'll land back on the 80 halfway between wendover and wells.

You're going to follow US 30. It goes 12.5 miles then you need to turn left. If you stay straight on you'll end up in idaho.

I've taken that route quite a bit along with other trucking companies that head in to sacramento from tremonton area.

You could go south through salt lake and provo but you'll need your atlas to get back to the 80 and it'll be a lot more out of route then going north.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Many drivers will not be able to handle that part of Nevada towards 80. It's empty. Seriously empty.

8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    KSL is reporting that i80W should be open tonight. Official detour is 36S to 199W to 196N -- but it is not "recommended" for trucks...

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    No worse then other parts of the country. That are seriously empty. I'm sure they can handle the 105 mile 2 hour drive.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok you got me. I had walker lake in mind up there in Nevada. Mind your trailer so you don't go splash. =)

snowwy Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Don't know where walker lake is. But the road does kind of suck. No shoulder through the utah portion. Tough to speed through there when a truck is coming from the opposite direction. And i doubt the lanes are full width. Once in nevada, it's not so bad but that's only 32 miles of the drive.

Now that i done the math. The total stretch is 120 miles. 12.5 on the first leg. 75 after the left hand turn. 32.5 once across the nevada state line. To the 80.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.