rebuild gone wrong??

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by dyall, Apr 3, 2015.

1. dyall

dyall Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Okay, im new here not much of a diesel mech. However Ive been an OO for about 7+ years and still own same truck. 2005 freightlenercentury with detroit 14ltr 60series. Last June I had major problem coolant in the oil pan. Long story short I spent close to 22,000 for engine rebuild. Rocker arms cylinder 6pack etc.... just kept block and egr cooler. New sleeves and #5 cylinder counter boared. Just got truck backend of January and on March 31 just north of knoxville on 75 the head gasket blew. Im running less than 10,000 lbs 67mph. I dont run truck hard because im not a mechanic and dont have a money tree. I stay pro active on replacing parts oil changes ect.... ive only been stuck on the shoulder twice since june of 2008 last year when I broke down and march 31 of this year. I really need some help here. Dealership 1st described problem being blown head gasket. Pointed out where you could literally see the gasket in the back corner sticking out. Service manager claims he's never seen anything b4 like and it could have been poor workmanship. Then on friday Im told the block, cylinder head are both destoyed due to high RPM recorded. 3221 is what I was told they pulled from the computer.3seconds b4 that recording it had me clocked doing 83mph on 3/31/15 10:50am. Now the kicker is I hadnt left the shipper with my 9500lb ld in conover nc yet. Left about 11am drove almost 1hr 40mls to Loves TS in marion nc and stayed about an hr. The help I need is I spent 22,000 for a rebuild and recieved 1yr on parts and labor. The corporate office is stating that warrenty may probably be void due to High RPM 3221. Problem is I never ran truck 83mph and certainly didnt redline rpm. Ive never run past 18rpm which is very seldom and I usally run on cruise control around 67mph. I need help from anyone who is mechaniclly experienced. Only a fool would intentially destroy his truck after spending almost 22000 to get it back. I borrowed alot of money putiing title up to my truck and car and borrowing from family. Im worried im being set up so that detroit doesnt have to honor the warrenty. Ive just over 21000 mls in the 2 months ive had it back. Anyone please help. Need advise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BASARAB

BASARAB Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Warren, mi
    This is like one of the worst nightmares for an OO

4. dyall

dyall Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Not so much a nightmare as it literally has almost made me sick. My due diligence I believe has allowed me to keep my truck running. Oil change 10 to 15000 mls. New shocks every year. Overhead once a year. It goes on and on. However I really need to hear from someone who can give solid advice regarding what detroit may or may not due regarding warrenty.service manager made clear b4 pulling head and after pulling head off that somthing was going wrong. #6cylinder had fallen and their was major scaring both on the block and cylinder head where gasket blew apart. I know I never ran 83mph at anytime or pushed the rpm to 3221. Really need expert advise on this and how I should proceed.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Anyway you can have another qualified tech check that computer? I don't know much about ECU's , I wouldn’t think someone could add that data to one. If its not there then wouldn’t it be impossible for them to prove?! Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this matter will shed some light.

6. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I know nothing about this kind of stuff, nor the modern day trucks.

Can you get someone that has a computer, that’s trust worthy, to hook up to your truck and see if its really saying it went to 3,221 RPM and 83 MPH?

Sounds like a bad rebuild and they're trying to get out of the warranty.

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  7. dyall

dyall Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Im here in knoxville tn. Clark power systems. Not sure how these boys here stack up when it all comes down to takeing care of the little guy. Youve got some corparate warrenty exec that may or may not be upfront and the ake it on the chin and do the right thing and honor the warrenty. I was raised old school, im 53 and was taught to take care of what you have and likewise with other people's property. Treat it like it was your own. This first rebuild almost put me on the street. Naturally im gonna baby my truck and take good care of it as its my sole means of income. In the 2months ive had it back, ive replaced all 4 drums and brakeshoes on drives, brakes chambers, shocks, 3axle alignment, new windshield motor, new ac lines and 1 recent oil change. Does this nonsense of 83mph 3221RPM sound like it would come from someone who just spent 23000 to get truck back, im probably 30 in dedt with hi interest and then the 3 to 4 thousand ive spent replacing everything I listed 4got to mention 4 new air chambers and 4 really good used drive tires 14/16s on the used tires. Somthing isnt adding up.

8. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    I'd be doing everything in my power to find out how they got that rpm and speed. You can argue all you want that you never did it and I'm sure you didn't but when its a warranty claim they will go with the data they have in front of them and ignore everything you say. They do not want to pay out on a warranty even if they know they are in the wrong.

I hope everything works out for the best as it sucks to be in that position. Hopefully they can figure the cause and what is wrong and work with you on it.

OldHasBeen Thanks this.
  9. MZdanowicz

MZdanowicz Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2013
    peabody, ma
    Hey Dayall-I never had much luck with big repair co,s. Sounds like somebodys running for cover. I go to a local shop for things I cannot do. This young guy about 30, rebuilt an engine for my son, never had hic-cup. I would look for some local talent to look over your problem. They are out there, just never seen. Look in the yellow pages, and go in person and talk to them. You may find a home. Anyway, you will have answers, and possibly who was at fault. Give it a try, Mike-Z

10. dyall

dyall Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Thanks for support. Gonna see if oiida can offer any legal advice regarding warranty issue if they decide not to honor it. My hope is 2months into getting truck back and 23000 bill that someone would have moral to realise that something went wrong with the rebuild. Most folks who work even some of at detroits corporate office know $23000 is ahuge sum of money . After just 2months and under 22000 mls on rebuild how is it the block looks like someone took a torch to it brand new head is warped, new turbo sucking water and head gasket looks like small explosion near the corner. Im not an engineer nor certified mech, but I tell you I havent been able to get a solid answer from anyone at dealership. They are indeed not sure what may have caused gasket to start going bad that warped the head and destroyed the block. Only that it was in the making for at least a week or longer and then you get this spike recorded for just a second or two in speed and rpm that would allow them to possibly void any warranty. whatever happened honoring the warrenty or honoring your word. Hope next week all goes well with warrenty. Can show them a history of maintance records and spending extra money on rebuild for parts that were okay. I tried to just do it right the first time. Just need a few people to pray out their that detroit will stand by their warranty.

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    1st: Do you not have a rev limiter/governor on that thing? My 1998 M11 won't go over 2200 rpm IIRC.

2nd: I would expect the rev limiter to be hard setting from the factory, but maybe it was left un governed when a dealership reprogrammed the ECM?

3rd: Can you prove you were still at the shipper?

4th: I am no mechanic but I bet they didn't get the liner protrusion correct that's why the head gasket failed. We went through three head gaskets in 18 months on our M11 because the local KW dealer didn't get the protrusion right. The TN shop should be able to tell.

None of this matters however. I am doubtful that the dealership that did the rebuild will take the hit and it doesn't sound like you're able to absorb the cost of another engine and then bear the expense of suing the rebuilder.

It's just awful and it makes me sick every time I hear something like this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.