rebuild gone wrong??

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by dyall, Apr 3, 2015.

1. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    It only does that if the program is set to do that and when it does, a copy is saved on the computer. If they cleared the ECM, ask them for a copy. If they deny the proof that it is not warranty, then something is very shady.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Here is what I would do.

Document everything. Who you talked to, when and what was discussed - this should be done with any claim anyway.

THEN ...

Starting with a complete and thorough ECM dump (that is everything that is in that ecm - it can be done) and have that dump time written on the document. The dealer can do this but it may cost some money - DO NOT have someone who just has a computer and software do this but have the dealer do it for legal reasons.

Get a copy of your logs for that day.

Then go talk to a lawyer about not just the warantee but also the re-builder.

Here is why. (you can explain this to the lawyer)

the ecm have an ecm time stamp to show what time the ecm thinks it is. when the dump is done and printer, the time that that was written on the dump can be used to show the time differences between the real time and the ecm time. Then the reason for the dealer to do this is proof that it was done by someone who is credible and can confirm that there was no doctoring of the ecm made when the dump was made.

Now you can look at the time stamp of the event and compare that to your logs, if you were sitting getting loaded, then there is proof that there that it should be covered.

Hope that helps.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    what if the ECM's clock is not current? that ECM is 9 year old and the ecm's battery could be dead. every time when you change trucks batteries the ecm's clock stops if the battery is dead.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    The battery in the ECM will set a fault for RTC Battery and CEL will come one when it dies. The ECM clock very well could be wrong, but no way to tell without hooking it up to a computer. You need to do just what Ridgeline said to verify how far the clock is off. Apart from the real time clock, the engine hours and key on hours are logged with all fault codes, which gives another measure of how long ago (run time) the fault occurred.

Also, on top of the reports, I'd get a print out of the audit trail. That will show the last 3 real time clock adjustments.

6. Mooose

Mooose Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Sherwood Park,AB
    Not sure about your year but Freightliner told me that only way you can over rev 12.7series 60 on my 2000 was pushing downhill forcing the engine to over rev, he told me that engine/ECM will protect it self from accidentally over revving except in a down hill situation. I don't know you but I believe you 100% sounds like these guys are trying to screw you over. You gotta get that truck to someone honest or get a legal beagle involved.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  7. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    So, what happened???

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Call me hooper

Call me hooper Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.