Rebuilt title

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BeN DaViS, Jun 28, 2015.

1. BeN DaViS

BeN DaViS Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    North Hollywood CA
    Hello everyone I have a question on buying a truck with a rebuilt title.

Would I have trouble with the dealer on the trade because of the tittle in the future? Also what do you guys think about the price is 2013 T660 400HP ISX 13SPD 85K

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You will never gonna be able to trade a truck with rebuilt title, just sell it to some poor soul

4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    First off a little more info would be helpful. Does it have 200k or 600k on it?

5. BeN DaViS

Aug 2, 2013
    North Hollywood CA
    I forgot to mention it has 290k

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I would be very cautious about buying something like that. If it was on its side, how long did the engine run? Serious damage could have been done right there from oil starvation, if they changed the oil you'll not know from an oil sample. It may run and seem fine, but you can rest assured that traumatic event will show itself after you buy it. This is of course assuming that it did roll over, and is still the original engine. A check of the VIN and engine serial number will tell you that. The only way I would buy it is if I could get it bought for $40k-$50k. What's a new ISX crate motor cost?

I have a good friend who bought a T600 that has a rebuilt title, he spent THOUSANDS of dollars over many years trying to make that truck right, you name it, it would go wrong with it.

Cetane+, mp4694330 and BeN DaViS Thank this.
  7. BeN DaViS

Aug 2, 2013
    North Hollywood CA
    I never thought about that Oscar, the dealer told me that they had replaced some side panels on the cab and sleeper and they replaced all 10 tires. I'll call tomorrow and see if it was a roll over or a side swipe

8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Good chance it was on its side then, I'd see if you can find out, and then go from there. Just anticipate for them to not want to give you anymore information as to what happened to it though.

BeN DaViS Thanks this.
  9. BeN DaViS

Aug 2, 2013
    North Hollywood CA
    I will check it out tomorrow and see what they tell me

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I agree. Where's the deal at? The only reason to buy a salvage job is the money savings. If you were trading that truck in the way it sits, how much would they give you for it? Even if they put a new motor in the truck, the title would hurt sales.

You're going to lose on the initial sale, and you're going to lose when you try to sell it or use it for trade. Tell them to cut the price 50%, or you'll walk. They're going to laugh and tell you NO WAY. And I would laugh and walk. You have the advantage...don't let the slick talk tell you otherwise.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.