Recent graduate - 45 days to pick a company?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Diana.Prince, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Diana.Prince

Diana.Prince Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2015
    I graduated a few weeks ago and have my CDL in hand. I've been applying to a few companies and haven't decided on one yet, but have it narrowed down to a few. I spoke to a recruiter last week that mentioned something I hadn't heard before and was curious if more experienced drivers can chime in. He started to pressure me to make a quick decision after I mentioned I wanted to take a week off before training, and told me I only had 45 days after graduation to pick a company to do my "finishing training" otherwise I might have to do a refresher course at most companies. I don't see myself taking that much time off but hadn't heard that from anyone yet. I get that they don't want you to lose what you've learned, but is this usually determined by company or pretty much standard throughout the industry. Thanks ahead of time, this is my first post here, I've been stalking for a while :).

DustyRoad and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Each company has it's own policy. For some it's 30 days or 60 days or 90 days. Some don't care even if it's been a few months or a year.

Where is your location and which companies are you considering? Maybe some drivers that have "been there, done that" will give some good advice.

DustyRoad Thanks this.
  4. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Refresher courses are for experinced guys that have been on leave for over a specific amount of time. You are a trainee, as of now, you do not have any OTR experience since you never ran all 48 states. Check Out Southern Refrigerated Transport-----They are hiring trainees from all over the USA

5. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Stock brokers, car salesmen, and old west snake oil peddlers have more ethics than trucking recruiters.

BuckeyeKev and Canned Spam Thank this.
  6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I know Averitt is 90 days

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  7. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I think the majority would be at least 60-90 days if not more.

8. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    A refresher is a good thing for some companies that have a high turnover rate. Meaning they will hire anyone with a CDL with 6 months experience in the last 3 years.

9. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Bobtail Member

May 10, 2015
    NW Wisconsin
    When I was finishing up my training, my school wanted to wait to finish up at the school until we knew I would be out on the road withing a month so I was fresh heading out with a trainer. Taking a week off in between your school finishing and starting with an employer should not be a problem.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You can't finish training once you have your cdl. This is a silly thing but how can you be trained when you have full responsibility for that truck and load when you get into the drivers seat?

11. Tonitos

Tonitos Light Load Member

May 17, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Do they go by the graduation date or the date on your cdl license?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.