Recently laid off, looking for work in Manitoba

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Danboots, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Danboots

Danboots Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    As the title suggests, I used to work for Trican Well Service in both MB and AB but was laid off recently and im close to running out of savings. Im pulling the plug on working for oil until its back above $60-70 a barrel. Looking at running long haul to Texas and California. Any recommendations on who has the best rates and trucks in the biz? Right now Im talking to Len Dubois. Im a company driver by the way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lonewolf21

lonewolf21 Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Kenora, Ontario
    You will not go wrong hooking up with Len Dubois. Great company to work for.

Danboots Thanks this.
  4. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    trans x,jade,pauls all hauling along with most companies some good some MEH... LDT not perfect but better than most

5. Danboots

Danboots Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    I tried pauls hauling last year in brandon for a few months but....holy crap. $1500 for runs to and from winnipeg for 3 weeks. I never ran out of hours. Tried doing fuel and asphalt out of Winnipeg but getting loads was all seniority based and I cant pay bills for 2 weeks of work in a month. Met a few drivers who worked for TransX but they basically made the drivers supervise the loading of the vans and if anything was out of place they would take it out of the pay of the driver, and if anything was spoiled or broken or whatever, again taken out of drivers pay, all while not upping the pay.

6. jimbo47

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    the only real problem for LDT I would say and I heard the same from others was the staring rate 40c but told if more experienced more per mile..41c .!!!!

7. Danboots

Danboots Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yeah that was a stickler for me too I'm going to try and ask for .44 starting but if I can't bump it I'll take it for now. I'd rather avoid the big name companies so does anyone else know of people needing drivers with tdg experience and prefers US runs?

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Isn't ice road season in Manitoba ?

9. Danboots

Danboots Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    It is but it's hard to get work up there because of the tv show and hundreds of joe blows vying for the same job, the massive fluctuations in temperatures limiting the work that can be done, the consistently unseasonably warm temperatures this winter and that it's one season.
    We'll always be pumping oil and a decent oil based company can pay their drivers $3.5-5000 a month with 20+ loads a month, but that's for all of 7-8 months. I need more consistent and reliable work, not random cyclical work.

jimbo47 Thanks this.
  10. lonewolf21

lonewolf21 Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Kenora, Ontario
    I was with LDT back in 2010. I was getting 40c back then! Surly it must be more than that now!
    Heck, Big Freight is paying 46c!

11. jimbo47

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    nope 40c starting ,,41c starting with experience...G.mcleod Winnipeg starts at 40c as well (experienced)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.