Recharging freon

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 3ARTransport, May 1, 2016.

1. 3ARTransport

3ARTransport Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I have a 2010 freightliner cascadia, I would like to recharge the r134. How many psi sould the system be changed at. I have recharged my personal truck before with good success. Any recommendations on a brand of freon, should I add some oil mix freon. What your thoughts. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Most cascadias use about 4.5lbs. If you are filling by pressure refer to a R-134A pressure temperature chart. A good rule of thumb for R-134A is that pressure should be fairly close to ambient temperature.

Last 6 of the vin and I can tell you exactly how much your truck calls for.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    On every truck I've owned, there is a tag on the firewall near where the ac lines go in to the cab, that tells you how many ounces of freon to charge it with.

SeawrightFreight Thanks this.
  5. northernhopper

northernhopper Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2015
    isanti mn
    Sounds like you are just adding some. If so dont add lbs. Add untill you get the correct pressure for the ambient temp. Ac clutch has to be in and engaged if i remember right to get accurate reading. Im far from an ac tech though

6. Animosus

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    No. If it's engaged and running your high side will be 100+ psi and your low side will be 10ish. It needs to be in a neutral state where both sides of the system have equalized to get a proper reading for filling.

northernhopper Thanks this.
  7. northernhopper

Mar 15, 2015
    isanti mn
    Glad someone knows. Thanks for the correction. I always thought you charge high side to pressure so as not to over charge. Am i wrong?

8. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    Do not charge on the high side when running,,the can will explode in your hand

9. Chris50

Chris50 Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    I charged up my apu with the ac on and clutch engaged.. directions on the can said to do it this way?? I could never get the pressure reading right on the gauge that came with the can while not charging(can said take pressure reading without button depressed). I have a digital temp gauge in a vent and i just added a little then checked temps.. Got it down to 43 degrees and figured that was good enough.

10. northernhopper

Mar 15, 2015
    isanti mn
    As ive always understood it being done

11. Animosus

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    I've never used a can so maybe it's different since you can't force it in. If you go low side than the can is higher pressure and will enter the system. Always used an A/C machine, even on reefers. *shrug*

I'm also EPA 608 universal and 609 certified so I'm not allowed to do a lot of things because I'm suppose to know better. :mad:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.