Red light camera question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Requiemforroksy, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Requiemforroksy

Requiemforroksy Bobtail Member

May 18, 2013
    Hello I was driving in North Texas and came up to a red light camera intersection. The light turned yellow at the point of no return, where I could not stop without ending up half way in the intersection,so I went through it. I did not see the light turn red from the cab and I was going under the speed limit.
    I was wondering if this would still cause me to get a red light ticket as its possible that the trailer crossed the line after it had turned red. Like I said from the cab I only saw the yellow.
    Any other info on how red light cameras work and advice on how to handle them in a truck is appreciated.
    Thank u

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's happened to me several times in Texas, especially on Hwy. 59 and never received a ticket. The company that reviews the alerts and determines if a ticket should be issued or not.

4. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I would say most likely no once they review it if they can. Just remember if ever stopped doing that tell the officers point of no return and hitting the breaks could cause a disaster haha which is true in certain circumstances(ice)

5. sdpetheram

sdpetheram Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Also from my undersranding here in ia. The front two tires cannot be past the white line to issue a ticket.

Thus you were already in the intersection and did not trip the camera. But that's here in iowa. With 4 wheels.

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I dont know what the laws are here in Maine, yet in California if the light turns red after you are in the intersection you are considered legal. If you stand before a judge, tell him that you are guilty and that you had proceeded with caution on a yellow light. The judge will tear up the ticket.

7. Requiemforroksy

May 18, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I should be alright. Hopefully the rule in tx is that if you're already in the intersection when it turns red you're good to go.

8. ajohnson

ajohnson Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    chicago area
    In most places if your front wheels cross the white line before the light turns red you are ok

taxihacker66 and sdpetheram Thank this.
  9. Requiemforroksy

May 18, 2013

Thats good to know both for in a truck and a four wheeler.

10. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I lost count of the number of times that one in Marshall TX on 59, just north of I-20, took my picture.

I'm willing to bet those things aren't set up to get trucks. It likely only gets a pic of the top of your trailer because I've never heard anything more about all the times I've seen the flash go off on those things.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That one used to nail me real often.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.