Red light ticket

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Long FLD, May 29, 2015.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I got a ticket in Liberal KS at 2305. It's a 30 mph zone and I was loaded. The light went yellow, I didn't speed up but I didn't feel I could stop without knocking cattle down. It was just a city cop so no inspection report so no CSA points. Just goes on my record and I haven't had a ticket since May 2010. I'm thinking of just paying the $110 instead of losing a day's work, any thoughts or advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    If you live in the same town as the violation then you could waste a half a day sitting in court, or as many drivers opt to do is send them a certified cashiers check.....and for get about it!

4. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Many many towns do not abide by the Federal guidelines for lights. When the light changes from yellow to red they are all suppose to be based on a loaded truck taking 300 feet to stop comfortably doing 55 mph.

I pointed this out to our police chief in my town. We have a light that in one direction it's down hill and many skid marks there from trucks. They changed the timing of the light.

I don't know where I was but the speed limit was 55 and lights on the road. I came over a hill doing maybe 40 just as I saw the light and it changed. There was no way I could stop. There was a cop on right. I layed on my air horn and nobody moved. I pulled over after that. The cop came up and to my door. I just freaking launched into a rant. He said he wasn't there to write me a ticket.

I told him the speed limit should be lowered to 30 before the light or a flashing light that says the light is going to change. He strongly agreed and ask for my phone number and email in case the chief wanted to talk to me about it. Never heard from him.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Noooooo! Waiiiit!!!!

I got a ticket, same town. Write a "very sorry, cattle on board, safety stopping . . . I'm a poor truck driver, great safety record . . . " letter.

I mean go ALL out.

Send it to the judge, asking if it can be reduced to a non moving violation, offer to pay all court costs etc.

I had a 39 in a 30 knocked down to a 'defective wiper blade'.

Paid $145 all in. Same town, 3 years ago.

NavigatorWife and Skate-Board Thank this.
  6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Lol....I'm not sure what town it was but I'm guessing in SC on a secondary road. I wasn't that far from delivering.

7. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Check the ticket,,most tickets have a box the cops checks off to indicate a commercial vehicle and the violation will appear on the carriers and drivers record,

8. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    My wife was in the bunk. She is listed as number1 seat. I tripped the light fantastic in Hannibal Mo. Same as everyone I didn't want to toss her out of thee bunk to the floor. I told her she was going to get a ticket. Months go by,,,I get a letter from my company safety dept.
    Had 3 pics, showed my smiling mug behind the wheel.
    License plate, comp name,truck number all clearly visible.
    Showed my steers beyond the white line with a time stamp and speed. Next pic showed my drives crossing white line,
    Final caught my tandems and trlr lic.
    I should have slid to a stop in the middle of the intersection.
    The photo also indicated that the pic had been reviewed by a city cop who signed his name to make it legal.
    $134.00 plus $12.50 surcharge later. My company says send us a copy of the money order.....dummy.

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    When approaching a light slow to a speed that if necessary to stop you can. Now I would plead you down to Too Fast for Conditions. Not being smart just an explanation of that charge. It means you would be going too fast for the condition the presented itself which in this case was a red light.

10. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    Heck, try and get a diversion on it. CDL holders aren't suppose to be able to get one but a couple years ago I got popped for speeding in Holton, KS. Sheriff told me to call the courthouse and they'd probably give me a diversion. I called and she said donate 50 bucks to the city park fund and pay the cost and if I stayed ticket free for the next six months, they'd keep it off my record.

Can't hurt to call and ask.....all they can do is say no.

11. EndHatred

EndHatred Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Targeting out of state vehicles is what cops look for as easy targets because they realize most people will pay the fine instead of loosing pay to fight it. I know, it sucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.