Reefer Newbie's question

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by cjsllc, Apr 25, 2016.

1. cjsllc

cjsllc Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Hi, another reefer newbie needs tips and suggestions for hauling reefer. I will hauling produce most of the time. I have some questions that I would like to get some advises and tip from the reefer pros.

1. reefer unit off within one or two hours upon delivery?
    2. tips for saving fuel on produce hauling
    3. pre cool trailer to load temperature requirement or as long as the trailer is cooling down?

Thank you very much

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    1) Never shut your reefer off under load!
    2) Basic tips apply.. Run a bit slower and try to keep your tires cool.
    3) Depends on shipper... I always precooled an hour before, but I normally ran deep freeze. A lot of shippers want you at the correct temp before you hit the dock, and you don't want to be sitting 25^ high waiting on your defrost cycle.

4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I know you didnt ask, but here's another tip. Never trust the reefer tank gauge! Always verify visually, it's a major inconvenience to be called at 1am by dispatch letting you know your reefer shut down, and you need to add 20 gal of fuel and prime it for nearly half an hour. I was awake for nearly an hour and a half because the gauge was stuck at 3/4....

5. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

Had a job once where it including refueling fleet reefers, well and everything else imaginable. Always skipped the ones that were at three-fourths and above, but you are certainly right though they are not always accurate. We didn't have time to check every one, other than the gauge, and it was not uncommon to get a call or text asking why we didn't fill so and so because it ran out, usually as a result of the gauge not working properly. Or the new guy put gas in it, but that's another story. Ha

Big Don and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. Nmasweet

Nmasweet Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
  7. omg-downshift!

omg-downshift! Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2012
    South Texas
    Your first question could be taken a few different ways but I assume you don't mean shut er down before you open the doors? Of course not. But, I personally do not shut it off when being unloaded untill I have bills in hand with time and I've sent in my empty call. In the few years I've been driving I've been told maybe three times to shut down while being unloaded. But even then I had a signed rules list that stated to do so. Your second question is well, just like every other truck... as soon as I'm empty I turn unit off, when I get a plan and if it's a live load, turn it to 50 and sweep it, unless it's blood, And let it run. I actually am so used to the unit yelling in my ear that I have a hard time sleeping without it. But if I am drop and hook, tyson I'm looking at you, I fill it and turn it off, some places are full or your not getting in, some are 3/4, regardless if you get somewhere and are turned away because of your feefer not being full... it's gonna suck. I guess in the long run it won't take long to figure things out and how it works and how to do things. But I guarantee, if your like me you will be sent packing a few times from the shipper to either clean, fuel, or slide before you get it.

8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Always shut reefer off when fueling....its been discussed B4&some are goin to want to argue.....but you only have to clog screens/filters once&you'll never put yourself through it again....

Saturday, wore out and scottlav46 Thank this.
  9. cjsllc

cjsllc Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2016
    one stupid question, anyone had experienced or heard about some idiots messing around with the reefer units while you are not around?

darthanubis Thanks this.
  10. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Heard of it..
    So far it hasn't happened to me.

11. cjsllc

cjsllc Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2016
    I m going to hauling produce daily, and home daily before midnight. I will park at the yard that is only 10 mins away, and have to keep the unit on till 10am next day to deliver. that's why i was like, umm is a good idea to sleep comfortable at home or just sleep on the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.