Reefer verses Van

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blessedman, Nov 21, 2015.

1. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    I'm pulling a van and have wondered about getting a reefer. I live in southern Missouri about 25 miles from Pocahontas, Arkansas where they are putting in a new poultry processing plant. Is there much reefer freight in the central part of the country without doing New England or west of the Rockies?

I don't see as many reefer loads on the load board as van. Just wondering. I quit flatbed due to health issues and it's not fun taking the van rates after doing flatbed. Especially since most of my flatbed loads were direct and most of my van loads are brokers.

Getting a new reefer would not be a problem. But making it profitable, that could be another story. Looking for some input from those doing reefer freight.

I know the rates are down now across the board but would the reefer be more profitable than a van?
    Any info from those doing it as an independent would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I have no clue. But think about this. A van can only pull dry frieght. A reefer can pull both dry and refrigerated/heated frieght. So when one market is slow, jump to the other and vice versa.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  4. OTRReeferRunner

OTRReeferRunner Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yes, there is a lot of reefer freight in the Midwest, Southeast, Westcoast, northeast just about all 48 states. Some areas of the country are better then others. In Iowa,Nebraska, some parts of Texas you have a lot of beef/pork process plants. (Cargill,JBS, and others). Georgia and Arkansas (Tyson ) you have chicken processing plants. Central California you have produce processing plants and loading of produce straight from the fields right on your truck. I run reefers and I'm all over the country. I also pickup and deliver to a lot of cold storage facilities too. (US Cold Storage and Americold)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Actually, a lot of the better paying van freight can't or won't be loaded in a reefer. back when I pulled a reefer I ran into this all the time.

mp4694330 and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  6. OTRReeferRunner

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    One thing about reefer that I experience on a daily basis and is I don't sit.wait on a load. I usually have 1-2 loads waiting on me. If you are with a good company or broker they will keep you running.

Don't let anyone on this message board discourage you reefer does pay good money it all depends on the freight lane. Find a few good freight lanes and you'll make some money.

7. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

R
    Really? I wouldn't have guessed. I'd think anybody would like to see a reefer show up since the inside can be cleaned spotless compared to a van. Especially wood floors like my company.

8thnote Thanks this.
  8. OTRReeferRunner

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That isn't true! Things have changed a lot. It depends on the rate your charging the customer and the freight lane. Currently van freight rates tends to run much cheaper then reefer frieght. Remember January & February are dry van slowest months of the year. Reefer run all year round.

9. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    You will earn more revenue with a reefer. Key is to cut down the amount of work you put in. But a reefer will expand your options on freight.

10. OTRReeferRunner

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    From my monthly experience stay way from Walmart & Mclane, Distribution centers they will have you waiting from 4-8 hours to unload you and sign your paperwork.

11. reefer101

reefer101 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2014
    reefer is seasonal, if I lived in the Midwest I would go back to van. with reefer when you come home loaded its scary to leave a truck and go sleep in a house. and more headache especialy with produce when receiver doesn't like that cherries have wrinkled or letuse has dark spots or something. and if you have health problems think about delivering appoitments at 2 am or sleeping next to it running. and for example when its produce season in florida sure you will get a good rate but you will get raped going in to florida or golden state

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.