Refrigerators

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Big_Red, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Big_Red

Big_Red Medium Load Member

May 5, 2011
    Not active
    can anybody give me some info on the refrigerators that come factory installed in freightliners? My boss ordered a glider for me to use and this is my first time dealing with the new trucks. I'm wondering if they are capable of keeping something frozen, what kind of capacity they have, are they always cooling or only while the truck or Apu is running? I'm thinking I can pull out the passenger seat for more space and set up an area where I can use a foreman grill to make my own meals but It's not practical to buy meat every day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
  4. Big_Red

May 5, 2011
    Not active
    The truck is being assembled with a built in refrigerator. I just wanted some info on them because I've never been in a truck with a refrigerator.

5. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Let me know what u think about it after u get some experience with it. Thx

Big_Red Thanks this.
  6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Factory installed fridge will do fine. Never had a problem keeping things frozen. Should it ever fail check out truckfridge or engel. Expensive, but worth it.

Big_Red Thanks this.
  7. Ooops

Ooops Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Wondering , is this fridge like the one u can buy at WM or it specially made for trucking?

8. Cottonmouth85

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    No, truckfridge is made to handle the abuse of a truck. Engles are preferred by the offroad and marine community for their dependability.

Truckfridge also has a 12v/110 model that make it great if you're home regularly. You can simply connect to shore power instead of unloading all your crap. Neither one consume near the amount of electricity that the 'power inverter/dorm fridge' will consume.

x1Heavy and Ooops Thank this.
  9. Big_Red

May 5, 2011
    Not active
    Cottonmouth do you think that a pack or two of frozen meat would keep well? Let's say a two pack of steaks and maybe a pack of 2 or 3 chicken breast fillets? Also do the OEM fridges cool constantly or only when truck/Apu are running? Thanks

10. Cottonmouth85

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Constant in my experience as long as you have voltage.

I'll keep a couple steaks, some fish filets and a 12 pack of popsicles in mine.

Actually, the truckfridge, on its coldest setting freezes everything.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A two pack of steaks and 2/3 chicken breasts will be gone in about a week for two of us. Been there done that. We used a standard coolermaster 12 volt with 110 volt option back there and a week is plenty for frozen meats.

Sometimes we tossed a case of meat into the corner of the trailer because it was a reefer. HAW!!!

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.