Refurbish a cottrell trail

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Jcurran90, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Jcurran90

Jcurran90 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Talk to me guys am thinking of having my cottrell high rail redone by Ohio trailer what's it going to cost trailer is in good shape just a post in the back bottom that needs to be replaced looking to get it repainted and new plumbing it's a 2006 what can I expect to pay ????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. iena

iena Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2014
    I spoke to one driver he refurbrished his Boydston trailer. He said they replaced bottom rails, added some drop pockets, repainted and new hydraulic lines. I'm not sure if anything else was done but he said bill was around 30K. In my opinion better to sell old trailer and use that money and money that you going to spend on refurbishing and to buy a newer

Viceroy1 Thanks this.
  4. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I bought a 2007 Cottrell high rail that was refurbished there in 2014 and to be honest it needs re-refurbishing at this point. I have to agree that you'd be better off selling the 2006 and buying a new trailer. They do a nice strap conversion there but these trailers loaded to the gills on these pothole filled roads just don't hold up well over time.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  5. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    I would agree with you guys but the problem is there is near zero market for used high rails. So I can see how getting it refurbished is a decent option. You should be able to reassess the value and put it back on depreciation schedule as well.

skinnyb01 and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You will spend about $15k on the repaint and plumbing, maybe another $3-$5k on the structure. If you like the trailer it may be worth it, keep in mind you will only get 5 to 7 years or so out of the refurbish before the paint starts to go again. Also, once the strip it down and blast it bare expect to find other issues that will need to be taken care of. They do decent work, but be prepared for cost overrun, it is the nature of stripping and reworking an older trailer.

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yea those hidden stress cracks appear after a good sand blast. Trust me I know about hidden cracks after pulling a lowboy many years

sxdime and brian991219 Thank this.
  8. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    Also, I have seen many surprises when it comes time to refurb a Cottrell. They like to use thinner steel where you cannot see. You only find this out when the fabricator starts cutting it apart and digging in to it. That being said, you wind up with a stronger piece although a bit heavier. I'd take a high rail any day of the week as you can get a lot more combinations on it.

sxdime, brian991219 and crb Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.