Renting from Ryder

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by lriverabxnyc, Jun 10, 2015.

1. lriverabxnyc

lriverabxnyc Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Hi all, I'm wanting to run on my own. I'm tired of working for companies and their BS. Someone told me I should rent a tractor from Ryder to get started. I don't have much money and my credit sucks. I'm not sure if this is ideal, but I really want to work for myself. Any advice???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Expensive. You will pay a daily rate plus mileage. You will also need to provide insurance for the vehicle you are renting.

They might give you a break if you tell them it will be long term rental or a short term lease- 6 months to a year.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I'm not sure what we are paying at the company I work for but at the last company, we had new 07 Freightliner Columbia sleepers & was paying about $1800 per month plus mileage on a 5 year lease. Keep in mind that was almost 10 years ago.

5. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ryder and Penske will not rent to you unless you are a corp with good credit, go buy a truck much cheaper

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not a corp., and we rent from them whenever we need to.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Rented from the yellow guys recently. About $600 a week plus $0.10 a mile charge. Truck broke down on a Sunday, they sent a tow truck with another bobtail to my location, switched everything over and kept rolling no questions asked-- the $0.10 covered the breakdown.

I would say it is on par with leasing a truck from a mega carrier price-wise.
    Comparison Pros-
    70 miles per hour
    no Qualcomm
    breakdown- quick switch out to new truck

Cons-
    Pack light, don't get too comfortable for long term renting of each unit
    10 speed transmission
    neither unit had CB connections
    bare bones units, no fridge connections or TV connections

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There ain't no frickn' way you should RENT a truck unless it is for a short term stop gap measure to get work done.

Most of you don't understand how to run a trucking business if you are looking to rent. Even leasing a truck from Ryder or Penske is foolish unless you know everything about running the business and have a grip on finances. You lose money in the long term without realizing it.

I lease a truck to an owner, I make money doing it, and this fall that truck will be replaced with a new truck for that owner and an increase in the rates I charge. For both of us it is something that makes sense because how he has his business structured, while for many it would not be the best situation or even one to get someone into a truck who has little experience. He has a contract, long term (used to be annually renewed) and I can count on his work to pay for his bills to me.

To the OP, be sick of running under someone else and save enough for a down payment on your own truck that can be easily financed through conventional means. Be very careful in learning how to run the business and how to make sure you have money for things like general and periodical maintenance. Learn from your time working for someone else how this industry works and then make decisions. Just because it sucks doesn't mean it gets better on your own.

9. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I rent from Ryder when my tractor is down, you will not get a truck from them unless you have a great credit score, your own authority, insurance that will cover their truck on their terms, and at least a $2,500 deposit on a daycab, $5,000 on a sleeper, at least that is what they want in Pennsylvania. They will take a credit card and run the deposit amount at the time you pickup the truck then every 7 days they will run another full deposit on the card, then in about 2 or 3 days credit you back the difference from the first deposit minus the actual charges for the week, so you need a credit card with at least three times the deposit they want as a credit limit until you have established a credit account directly with them, then they only hold a one time security deposit. Also, you will pay for anything they determine to be "driver abuse", this includes flat tires, chipped windshield glass, even emission system related issues or road service calls, if they can find a way to say the driver failed to do a regen or report a trouble light immediately, plus you pay the weekly rental fee while the truck is being repaired on top of the charge back for the repairs. Found that out first hand in January, they said I damaged a bumper, which I didn't but they charged me the weekly rental rate while I fought with them on the damage, so it cost me more in rental charges than the bumper repair would have been! I had a daycab from Ryder for 6 weeks earlier this year and again for two weeks last month, each time it cost me just about $1,000 a week to use their truck. Their long term lease rates are better but still an expensive way to operate a truck. Their long term program is really designed for private fleets and companies that operate a truck as a supplement to their business but are not in the trucking business so they want a one call does it all type of truck program.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. CDLDRIVER22

CDLDRIVER22 Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2015
    i came across this guy who says he makes 10k a month renting a truck and going threw a dispatcher to find loads to haul. when i heard this i thought yea ok whatever but then i came across another person saying the same thing. so know im asking anyone out there, can anyone give me any advice on how this works? is this really as good as it sounds? how do i get in?? it seems like eveyone on here is saying the oppisite that renting is not a good idea but how are these guys making this type of money and yes both of them told me specifically they rent not lease one guy from hertz the other from some local company... please help ty

11. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.