Repost: Thoughts on Hot Shots

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Cajun Justice, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Cajun Justice

Cajun Justice Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    New Orleans
    This post is also in the questions from new drivers section.

I have read and heard many conflicting stories about what Hot Shots actually entail. Some will say it is just one person with a half ton pickup, but others are telling me I will not get any clients without a dually and a forty foot gooseneck trailer. Then, I read Hot Shots are typically three quarter ton trucks with tandem axle trailers. Some will even say it can include straight cargo trucks to tractor trailers. Okay, let's pause. So, what have we learned? I need a truck that is at least a half ton but it can be as large as a semi. A trailer appears to be a very valuable necessity, but is it absolutely necessary? If it is then what kind? What kind of truck best serves the purpose? How do I get started to get some capital to buy this necessary equipment. My question to all of you is how do I best deliver this to my customers? I do not want people to call me and be disappointed that I cannot deliver a large load that my truck cannot handle. I need clarification, please.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I wouldn't even try starting out with your own authority . If I was in your area I would try to lease on with Acme . I'd go with a 1 ton flatbed with a gooseneck hitch because I have seen quite a few of their hotshot loads that only needed a flatbed .

d o g and Cajun Justice Thank this.
  4. Cajun Justice

Feb 12, 2013
    New Orleans
    I know a diesel is a lot tougher than a gas, and that a flatbed will give me more flexibility, but is there anywhere I can get started just to make money? All I have right now is my half ton. I might be able to borrow a couple of trailers, or there is always the option of renting one. I just want to get on the road by taking a few odd jobs until I can build up some cash.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I never heard of anybody making any money with a half ton pickup . Being under 10,000 lbs. GVWR you could haul without MC Authority but loads would pay very little .

6. Cajun Justice

Feb 12, 2013
    New Orleans
    Acme and Vision Logistics both contract half tons, but I guess my question is with a half ton could I get started to save enough money for say a diesel flatbed? At this point I really just need the money to get started.

7. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    Cajun you can probably use a half ton pick-up,would you make any bankable money? no that size truck is made for meduim duty driving around town, not the abuse hot shot will do to it.if your going to do somthing you need to do it right,1 ton preferably nothing less than 3/4 ton goose neck trailer,cuase simply putting weight on axles is better than on tha back end of your truck. I unederstand you need money to get going but if you dont get the right equipment to start with you are just drown in debt. customers want people who can be on time, dependable, few break downs. those things alone will make or break you.

Cajun Justice Thanks this.
  8. Cajun Justice

Feb 12, 2013
    New Orleans
    That is what I have been trying to gather. I've heard so many things since I started looking into hot shots. Now if only a one ton truck would fall out of the sky. If anyone knows someone selling a really cheap one ton flatbed please let me know.

9. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    good luck Cajun, hope it works out for you.

10. Cajun Justice

Feb 12, 2013
    New Orleans
    Thanks dude, I need it.

11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Do you have your class A yet??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.