reseal rear end housing

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by jlawall, Jul 3, 2015.

1. jlawall

jlawall Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    wapwallopen pa
    I have a leak where the carrier bolts to the housing. Want to reseal that area. Can i just pull the axles, unbolt it annd slide it ahead about 3\4 inch to clean area and apply sealant? Or need Ido something with the thru-shaft?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    nevermind i confused myslef

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Yes and maybe. At least some Eatons have a snap ring on the front of the through shaft and the carrier housing cannot be removed from the banjo housing with out removing it or removing the rear yoke. However I thank you still can get enough room to do the reseal deal. The worst case is to have to pull the through shaft yoke and replace the seal.

jlawall Thanks this.
  5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    if it leaks a little and leaking area is on top just good wash that area, use galosine or sometinig else to degrease surface. than apply coat of Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive. it may completely stop the leak. I have stoped leaking my rear axle 2 years a go by doing this. after 300k m no signs of leak.

RoosterNB Thanks this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Depending on the through shaft type I have resealed a few diffs this way. Super easy on rear rear ones.

7. foi

foi Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Hey HD got a question for you.

8. RoosterNB

RoosterNB Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I like the windshield urethane idea. We've coated the rear pot on a couple trucks with jb weld and another epoxy and then painted them with rock guard with mixed results. might as well try something else, next time.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I have done a couple that way. Make it easy on yourself and buy yourself a couple long bolts (the longest ones that you can easily fit and thread into the top housing holes). Then you can slide the carrier out while keeping it aligned. Makes it easier to re-install. Just make sure you use a floor jack or something to support some of the weight. I'd also advise cleaning everything in that area to prevent dirt from getting in. If you have an air locker in that diff you will likely have to lock that diff or else you won't be able to slide the carrier out.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Also I forgot to mention. If it is the first drive axle in a tandem truck you will probably have to drop the inter axle shaft and remove the output yoke. Replace the pinion seal if you have to remove the yoke. Look up your diff mfg's website. Most of them offer a free online parts breakdown so you can see how it comes apart.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.