Researching CDL training, we are going in as a team

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Donnalyn67, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Donnalyn67

Donnalyn67 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Plano, TX
    My husband and have made the decision to go on the road together.
    (I'm 49 and he's 59, if that helps in the feedback) In our search, it has become unclear on the direction to go. At this time if we were to make a decision PAM transport would be the way we go. Any and all feed back will be appreciated. Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are you going to attend a private cdl school or trucking company cdl school?
    Age doesn't matter in trucking; if you pass the DOT physical and drug test, "YOU"RE HIRED."

Pam is ok to get a career started. Should be easy there hauling mostly auto parts. Lots of Laredo, TX to pick up loads and deliver to auto manufacturing plants wherever they're located; Carolinas, Michigan, etc. They hire from about any cdl school and use C-1 Truck Driver Training school in Dallas also.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Team companies that hire new cdl grads:
    Freymiller - no experience required. If the website has "experience required" then the website isn't up to date.
    Navajo Express
    Decker Truck Line - reefer division
    National Carriers
    Old Dominion - probably the highest paying for teams and they do hire new cdl grads. @Donnalyn67 @blairandgretchen worked at Old Dominion as a husband/wife team.

Many companies have tuition reimbursement if you attend a private or community college cdl school.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Puppage Thanks this.
  6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Will Pam let you train together? Don't rule out CRST, Werner, Crete, etc. All of them have terminals within an hour of you. Once you get a year of experience transfer over to LTL carriers like Estes or Saia, you'll make exceptional money running teams for them. They are always looking for husband/wife teams to run FedEx freight out of alliance airport also. Are you trying to stay company or are you wanting to lease? My main advice would be only go with companies that have apu's or don't harp on you for idling.

7. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    If you can get your cdl, Watkins Shepard is looking for 70 new teams to help run 2 new accounts. It's all furniture as far as I know. Hauling for overstock.com and Amazon.com. Will be all drop and hook from their DC to Watkins terminals in either Myrtle, ms or conover, nc. As far as getting your cdl look at local community colleges. Most have workforce programs that will pay for your cdl. I paid 200 out of pocket for my cdl and got to choose the company I went to work for. Workforce program took care of the rest.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    C-1 Truck Driver Training in Dallas is ok.
    Community college cdl school would be my first choice though.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's also Jim Palmer Trucking and FFE (Frozen Food Express) , both having their own cdl school.

10. Twin Screws

Twin Screws Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    First rule, don't go to PAM. Good gracious, just read the reviews about them online! There are so many options that are SO much better for you.

thejackal and austinmike Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.