Resent rear end collision on record. Should I pursue trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WeThree, Jul 7, 2015.

1. WeThree

WeThree Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Texas
    Coming home from work yesterday I hit a bumper. I was highway driving in a small honda fit, dude in front of me slammed on his breaks because the dude in front of him did, ect ect. Had a few seconds of screaming breaks but not quire enough.The usual story. Rode up my hood and dented a few things, the truck I hit is hunky dory at least.

The mate and I were looking into trucking as a team, but now I'm not sure that'll fly. We're both in our early twenties, and that collision is the only thing that'll be on my record, and his is clean.

Can we still make it? What companies do you think would be interested in us with my record?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Rear end is one of the worst types of collisions to have on your record. You will still be able to find work somewhere...probably not where you want to be at. Who knows...send apps out anyway

WeThree Thanks this.
  4. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Maybe, but a rear end collision is a huge red flag.

Following distance, following distance, and more following distance.

Big Don and WeThree Thank this.
  5. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    You say "usual story" multiple times like meh, no big deal stuff happens.

Happens in a cmv and it'll be the "usual story" of another unemployed truck driver.

Big Don, G.Anthony and HorseShoe Thank this.
  6. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I agree. You can tell he doesn't want to take responsibility that it was his fault for following too close. "driver infront of me slammed on breaks"

G.Anthony Thanks this.
  7. WeThree

WeThree Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Texas
    @Horse shoe, I haven't been schooled or trained yet, so not nearly ready for apps. I'm as green as can be. Basically I'm on the starting line for this job, and just want to be sure I won't go through a lot of trouble only to find I can't get hired on.

@lagbrosdetmil. I take full responsibility for it. It was my fault, and I am and have been trying my hardest to make it right. I guess my humor didn't translate well, I was making fun of myself, a "I'm sure you guys hear this/get asked this a few times a week" kind of thing.

I've been driving for over five years now, I've never caused anything like this before. I'm an aware and proactive driver... but for this problem. :/

truckon Thanks this.
  8. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    you will have to go to a bottom feeder company (western express, CR England) get your 6 months in and MYABE, MAYBE you can get to a better company

WeThree Thanks this.
  9. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Please dont call western express a bottom feeder. Bottom feeders get enough bad press without making them seem worse than they are

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Try and see what happens,

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    I resent all the rear-enders on my record, too.

Not making fun of you -- just taking advantage of a great pun. :laughing5:

BeanDip Thanks this.
  12. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    this accident according to you was just the other day. many companies have a waiting period of 1 to 3 years for accidents to be not an issue. Sure you can call ANY trucking company and ask if you get your CDL will they hire you, but the person on the other end of that phone is a head hunter, and will tell you anything to get you to go to orientation. Once there, you can be bounced out.

Next, because it is a rear-ender, I think that in the coming weeks, you will get a court order to appear in court. You will be sued for sure. It happens every accident. Some accidents can take years to not only go to trail but to be settled. I tell you of this, cuz if you get hired, and if you get on the road, and if the court date comes up and you miss it, one of 2 things can happen..

1) a bench warrant

2) a default decision, in which you lost your case, now too, the insurance company can drop you OR refuse to pay the claim a s YOU defaulted on your court appearance.

I do not believe you want to go thru any of this nonsense

You ought to find out FIRST where you stand on he future of this so recent accident. Long before you go to CDL school.

Now, I know from PERSONAL experience, that an insurance claim can take months, if not YEARS to be settled, and YOU HAVE TO show up for court...!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.