Retorquing the Lugnuts

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by camionneur, Feb 5, 2016.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Probably my next phase of wheel maintenance, which I doubt is done on a regular basis, as is recommended by the stickers I scratch my head at (and wonder if I don't do it, who will)... something I'm looking into now. Feel free to share any thoughts or experience you have with this, on equipment or routine. Seems pretty simple though, get big torque wrench, and slap it on there (sounds like a plan).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    ExOTR and Dominick253 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    Go to a shop let them do it and sign off on it. If you can be a third set of eyes to watch it done then your sure that it was done correctly. Tires and brakes i dont even want to mess around with.

camionneur Thanks this.
  4. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    You suggest this as if it's an option. My options are between checking it myself and assuming someone else does it on occasion, when I'm not there (which I doubt is safe to assume). I don't think it could hurt to check torque anyway.

Dominick253 and stevez57305 Thank this.
  5. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    I mean you can't overtorque them with a torque wrench (on the proper setting), so they'll either tighten to that or they're already tight, right? I'll just look up the recommended torque range for these wheels and make that an occasional inspection (when I have some extra time).

6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    475 - 500 ft-lbs I believe.

Dominick253 and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Looks a bit tricky to say for sure, for instance the alcoa service manual ranges between 300-900 depending on the particular mount type, nut thread, and lubricated or dry torque. Then it says check specs for steel wheels otherwise... I guess if I can verify the equipment used, I'll see. On steel trailer wheels that had tires replaced they left me a note saying to have them torqued to 500 after 50 or so miles, otherwise 450-500 ft-lb may be typical for that (I'll do some more reading to compare notes in general). But that's the thing, if they're leaving me a note, I don't think it's going to be done automatically, unless I pull a torque wrench out of my ###.

No big deal, well they can be pricey, but I can possibly use one on my own wheels too (I don't know though, it seems they have a high minimum setting to go up to 500, so that would be if I got another vehicle, and already have a small torque wrench for the average wheel). Mostly the big ### one is something I'd care to have, since I've put enough thought into tire maintenance to also make sure the wheels stay on (which, some of them have surface rust all around, so I wouldn't know if the tell tale signs of loose lugs were present, besides them being finger tight, and I don't think gauging them by that or rust is going to be nearly as accurate).

8. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Split the difference and 500 is a good baseline.

Hub pilot - oiled and check the nut flanges
    Stud pilot - Goose from Top Gun....

...I mean put em on wire brushed and dry, reverse threads and whatnot.

Don't take my word thought, I'm a wheel holder not a grease monkey.

camionneur Thanks this.
  9. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Well I'm just curious as to what the baseline is on wheels I'm driving around (or at least if they're all torqued uniformly). Never had a wheel come loose, but it has been known to happen, so I'd like to know if the lugs are staying as tight as they should be, or are on a highway to the danger zone (there's only one way to find out, without interrogating everyone about equipment that is not maintained locally, if at all, so they wouldn't know anyway). I think it's along the lines of if it aint broke don't fix it, except I don't want to go there, when wheels breaking down (or not) amounts to a personal problem, either way (could be good exercise too).

10. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Now that I remember a used book I got, the Heavy Duty Truck Systems manual says to inspect and retorque wheel stud nuts once a week, so yeah I don't see that happening otherwise.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've always done 500 on aluminum hub pilot and 550 on steel hub pilot. I use my Mac 3/4" drive torque wrench that goes from 0-600. As for stud pilot and daytons. No idea. Its been so long since I've done either of those.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.