Returning to OTR- N Central US

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JoeB, May 26, 2016.

1. JoeB

JoeB Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2009
    ND
    @Chinatown

I've read several threads here and applied to many carriers. So far, haven't had much luck. I'm in SD & can relocate.

Applied to the following:
    Freymiller (not hiring in my area)
    Trimac (not hiring in my area)
    KLLM (left message with recruiter, no contact yet)
    MCT (40 hour refresher needed)
    Abeline (expecting reply from Safety today or tomorrow)
    Earl Henderson- offering 8 week team "training", $500/wk min first 2 weeks, 15 CPM for all truck miles. 4,000 miles/wk ($600).
    SNI- only team positions in my area. Individual recruiters only work with a specific position.
    Dartco, Schuster, May, R&L- applied yesterday, will call tomorrow.
    Knight Refridgerated- no reply, left message
    Holland Enterprises- no reply in 1 wk +. No recruiter available currently, will call back.

My first choice- based on TTR thread- is Magnum Ltd. Applied a couple weeks ago & talked to Tony several times. Sounded very promising, until Safety said a refresher course would be required. It's been a couple days since Tony called with refresher information. He didn't know what a refresher course involved and plans to follow up. Haven't been able to reach him this week (voicemail and email).

Any tips on joining Magnum @ncmickey @Winnyf1 @Oor @Jubal3 ?

I've found a couple tech schools that offer a refresher course- it's basically one-on-one customized training at $100-175/hr. Seems expensive, especially when it's unclear if a given course is sufficient for multiple carriers.

Background:
    Pulled hopper bottom double trailers regionally and reefer OTR for 18 months in 2010-11. All "old school" solo and small carriers- paper logs, assigned trailers, ungoverned, 10-13 speed, long 379/W900L. Equipment reliability/maintenance was biggest issue. Current Class A, all endorsements, DOT medical, passport and FAST. Only MVR issue- minor no-injury/no-ticket accident a year ago in POV. No criminal background, Canada admissible.

Familiar with reefer. Willing to try flatbed or tanker, tho a bit out of shape... Willing to be on the road for a month.

I appreciate any suggestions!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeB

JoeB Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2009
    ND
    Update:

Holland requires 1 year current experience.
    Knight Refrigerated has KC openings, 2 wk training @ $500/wk. Then 40-49 CPM depending on length. $10/hr detention after 2 hours, $75/day layover/breakdown. The KC manager should be calling to discuss hometime details (since I'm 500 miles from KC).

Also considering TBI (Sioux Falls SD). ~50 reefers, old-school.

4. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    We're located in sw mn by marshall. Lumber company. Were looking for flatbed drivers. Pm me your phone # and I'll call you with details.

5. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Hey Joe, you could try Zomer Bros. Actually they changed names to Premier Express. They are right across the street from MCT in Sioux Falls. Also across the street is a JFI yard. Don't know about needing a refresher or not with those 2 places.

JoeB Thanks this.
  6. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I'll give some details now that I have time. We build trusses and industrial products such as pallets. In addition to hauling our own products we haul almost anything that will go on an step deck or flatbed. We are in the process of pricing vans for customers who use food grade pallets.

We work Monday through Friday unless you want to work more. We run in nd sd mn ne wi and ia most of the year. During the winter we may go out further to stay busy. I average 10 nights in the truck a month.

It's easy to gross 900 a week. If you hustle you can gross a 1000 plus. You will work 60 to 65 hours most weeks

Good health dental and ok vision. The company even reimburses your meals up to 25 per day when u stay out overnight in the truck Nine paid holidays vacation pay after a year. 401 k contribution and other benifits.

I tarp on average once a week.

I enjoy working for this company. As I said earlier I can visit with you if you want more details.

JoeB Thanks this.
  7. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I would also put in a call to K and B out of South Sioux City, NE. If hired they get you enough miles that you gross right at 1200 per week. They micro manage too much for my taste but that is just me. It is reefer work so pointing out you have experience there will help.

They did fire me but there are so many companies out there that have done that I forgive them. I think it must be something in the water.

JoeB Thanks this.
  8. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Joe B., give Britton Transport from Grand Forks a call. They have van/reefer div based in Grand Forks and a flatbed division based in Sioux Falls. I've been here 4 yrs and am pretty happy. You'll get 40+ cpm (based on experience and division) before any bonuses. Pretty decent insurance. If you are just getting single insurance for yourself, they'd pay entire premium for you. Passport usage is higher for van division, but we'd like to pick up a few more guys who can and will go to Canada on the flatbed side too. Let me know if you have any questions.

JoeB Thanks this.
  9. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I don't know exactly what Britton requires as far as how recent experience needs to be, but I'd been off the road almost a year when they hired me.

JoeB Thanks this.
  10. JoeB

JoeB Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2009
    ND
    Magnum update-
    Excited that we've found at least 1 refresher course that meets safety/insurance requirements. Next week, they'll talk to a closer school that might work better for me.

Other carrier updates-
    KLLM/FFE- Not hiring from my area (nothing in Dakotas). Also require 6 weeks team "training" due to no OTR in 3 years.
    Dartco- Recruiter out till Tuesday
    Schuster- Very nice chat today. They're interested in HM and passport/Canada opportunity. Had to re-submit app due to technical issue earlier this week.
    May- Not hiring in my area. Very little opportunity in NE, SD, ND, MT, WY. The closest would be if I lived in Omaha NE.
    R&L- Nothing in my area, need to be within an hour of a terminal.
    Abilene- Still processing app.
    Knight Refrigerated- still haven't heard from KC DM re: hometime, otherwise sounds interesting.
    Holland Enterprises- Requires 1 year current experience.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!

11. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    See Tony found you something, so I assume you've had the questions answered. But, anything comes up and you can't get hold of him, tag me again.

JoeB Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.