RIP driver / tanker explosion / bad accident in montreal A40

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by spaceroger, Aug 10, 2016.

1. spaceroger

spaceroger Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Ougigoug, tucker, Dye Guardian and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Wow, that's sad.

RIP Driver

4. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

Oh, man....probably everyone's nightmare way to die.

RIP, driver.

5. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Condolences to the family, friends, and co workers of the driver.

Any word on what happened yet ?

News reports indicate that the tanker hit multiple vehicles before the final crash. Sounds maybe like a medical emergency with the driver ?

6. spaceroger

Feb 25, 2016
    oh my god, as time tell, more videos are coming out...

as what the H happens, is seems they were 2 cars and 3 trucks that collide. first tanker has to stop with kerosene in it, no damage. it quickly made the flatbed brake and finaly that cabover with fuel hit him, driver didnt make it out...

just found that video out on YT. pretty sad.

the A40 in Montreal is an elevated road for the most part. always packed. a rush hour 24/24. avoid if you can.

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    A properly used 5lb dry chem extinguisher (the kind required to be carried with hazmat loads) would have controlled and extinguished that fire if it was used before the fuel ignited, or just after it ignited. Once it spread to the tank, it was done.

If you haven't done so, I strongly urge you to take a hands-on class to learn how to properly use a fire extinguisher. A good class will have you actually using the extinguisher to control and put out live fire. It's an eye opener, and you'll find that there's a right way and a wrong way to use them.

tinytim and uncleal13 Thank this.
  8. spaceroger

Feb 25, 2016
    i agree. sure for everyone out there, extinguisher was their first tought, as myself watching without any stressfull situation. its easy to say but instinct get over.

but that driver tried to help. sh1t happens in 1 sec, took his strapload bar, cut his hand to the shredded handles on the truck, didnt worked. you can see him smashed his own tire as he realize he's not able to do anything, as fire will surely make things worse.

by the way, the driver who died wasnt dead when that guy tried to save him. He says so, (i wasnt there) when he told the media that the driver was conscious at that time and smoke was bad in the cab as it was outside. he did his best.

9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Yup, this is what happens when you try to help, but end up in a panic.

We have a higher probability of witnessing situations such as this than the general public does. Since that is the case, I feel that all drivers should seek out and go through some sort of basic first responder class. Being able to remain calm, think through a situation, and act appropriately (or take no action at all) is an invaluable skill when faced with situations like this.

10. Mr. Premium

Mr. Premium Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    RIP to the driver.

On a side-note, who still runs cab-overs in North America? Driver could have probably stepped right out had that been a conventional.

Years ago one outfit tried to put me in a cab-over, and after one day I told them to stuff it, unless they paid me a premium. I was promptly put back into a conventional the very next day.

11. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    I believe you can still special order Freightliners and Pete's as COE's. Maybe that's changed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.