Rocky background - odds of finding a decent company?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DJ Hughes, Jul 4, 2015.

1. DJ Hughes

DJ Hughes Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Tennessee
    Ok here it is, Im 43 year old and just now getting my cdl a. I take skills test july 7. I have a very rocky background. I have a dui from 1991, I have another one from 1998, I also have driving on revoked in 1998. I also have an assault charge(felony) and resisting arrest charge from 1991. Other than that I have a few tickets all over 5 years old. Whats my odds of getting in to a decent company? or am I stuck with crst? whats the odds of getting hazmat endorsement? Do you think I will ever beable to go into Canada? My record is so old I can get some cases removed as long as they are over 15 years old but it cost $600 a case, the felony can not be expunged. Advice please, and thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Canada doesn't like felonies and treats DUI like a felony. But like all governments they like money. Last I heard you can get an exemption from Canada for about 10g for the DUI's.
    Other stuff I have no idea. Well I guess all of this is with "no idea" it is just hear say. I never had a reason to research it properly. Good luck.

DJ Hughes Thanks this.
  4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    I would forget Canada is my experience
    my record is as bad if not worse
    hazmat endorsement wasn't a problem
    good company first go was but after a year driving
    a lot more doors opened

DJ Hughes Thanks this.
  5. DJ Hughes

Jun 13, 2015
    Tennessee
    Thanks, I been talking with crete carries but not sure about them yet, CRST trying to get me to sign contract and offering to pay the cost of my school (which im still in until july 7) and they want me to come to Atlanta as soon as school is over. Im a very safety minded person and both my instructors are giving me a great reference.

6. DJ Hughes

Jun 13, 2015
    Tennessee
    Is there any company that does solo will take me, let me know? Im trying to avoid teams, I want to go out with trainer of course but once ready want solo?

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Sounds like you already have a job. Good on you.
    Canada running. I have a couple friends that love to go there but complain about low paying loads coming south.
    The way I see it is there is enough work in the USA. I have no reason to leave the comfort of the states. North or South. Good luck.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  8. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    transam is where i started
    i made the mistake of leasing but if you go company
    you will get experience you need to have your past not mean as much as being a qualified driver

9. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    these companies that pay for your schooling is just another bait and switch like buying a car
    you either get lower cpm and they pay you back for schooling
    or you pay your own schooling

like get more off the new car invoice or more for the trade in
    same bottom line

10. DJ Hughes

Jun 13, 2015
    Tennessee
    I paying for my school out of pocket, crst said .33cpm to start, but they only do teams. Crete has ran my mvr and dac they still checking my background.

11. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH CRST BEFORE HAVING A LAWYER LOOK AT IT!
    I have heard that CRST's contract is exclusive and you cannot be hired elsewhere until you fulfill it. That's just what I heard, better safe than sorry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.