Roehl 14/7 van or refrigerated

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by CP1974, Apr 23, 2015.

1. CP1974

CP1974 Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Hi everyone. Was wondering which is better the Roehl 14/7 Van or Refrigerated??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    If you like driving all through the nite instead of sleeping choose reefer.

4. bobtrucks2204

bobtrucks2204 Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Spoke with a Roehl driver the other day. Now he had done the schooling and was a newbie. He wasn't happy with the routing from his dispatcher and they had him running around on what I would describe as "stupid s***". He said they started him at 32 cents per mile.

What I said to him was "Get your 1 year's experience and look for better pay". Also "Get your haz mat and make yourself as valuable as you can".

I haven't done reefer personally but I was suckered into delivering groceries ONE time and that was all it took for me. Never again.

It's your choice...###### if you do and ###### if you don't.

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Another thing about reefer is lots of middle of the night deliveries and dealing with lumpers who take hours and hours to break down the load. Oh, and those times when you drive out to some farm for a produce load and you sit there while they are out in the fields picking the mellons thats gonna go on your truck, then you gotta haul butt to make it to the walmart DC 600 miles away. You got the hours cause you just did your 10 sitting at the dock. I did that for six years.

6. ET62

ET62 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2013
    NY, NY
    started reefer with Roehl this year. Did their school in January, was with a trainer in February. And Solo since late Feb.
    Their school is great, their support for a new driver is very good. As in choose reefer or van I can only talk about reefer. I am out 14/7 from Bensalem and run over 5000 miles in two week. I now get paid 36ct and will receive another raise in 3 months or so of 2ct. After that I will move to "Choice pay" and my pay raises become more depended on my performance.
    I only heard the reefer the first night, the for the rest I am so exhausted that I sleep like a baby. Yes I run lots of very early mornings, I start often my day at 3am and run often 10 hrs a day; I like it. I am away from my kids and wife and I rather work and make money, then hang in a truck stop.
    I can't compare to other companies since Roehl is my first experience in this industry, but nothing stops me from full recommending them to you.

7. sleepily

sleepily Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Somewhere, Rhode Island
    Would you be so kind to explain the Choice pay program?

8. ET62

ET62 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2013
    NY, NY
    sure;

My Choice Pay program is a point system. The amount of point you get during a quarter will determine the Ct/mile rate for the next quarter.

You get points for miles driven, on time record, live loads, going to nyc, canada. Points for having hazmat endorsement, twic and a passport. You lose point for incidents/accidents, delivering to late. Your MPG is also worked into the formula.

A first year rookie makes based on this point system in reefer anywhere between 32ct and 40ct. Miles driven is a large part of all the points you get, so if you work hard, and don't arrive late, and don't have any incidents; a first year rookie can move pretty quickly in the payscale. You don't have to wait for seniority to kick in.

On the other hand deliver late and you rapidly see yourself walking down the pay scale. You will not fall down the scale more than one step at the time.

freenow and lucasheart Thank this.
  9. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    remember if you work 14/7 it will reflect in your pay
    5000 miles in 2 weeks is then 5000 miles in 3 weeks
    without other source of income
    what cardboard box are you going to live in on the 7 off

not everyone is against early morning running
    I started before dawn since I was 10 years old
    on the farm and delivering morning newspapers
    one advantage is in the TS early enough for parking

every job is what you make it
    and working the system to your advantage
    whatever that might be

Roknric Thanks this.
  10. ET62

ET62 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2013
    NY, NY
    agree 14/7 is a "part time" driver position. There are other full time positions - like National Van or National Reefer. The OPM asked about 14/7, and I for personal reason can at moment only be away from home for 2 weeks at time. The aggregate pay is of course less than if you would work 21 days out and 5 days home.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  11. sleepily

sleepily Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Somewhere, Rhode Island
    Thank you, ET62! I had guessed that it had those elements, but wasn't really sure about the scale, or how it worked in a gross sense. Is it an .08/mi scale? What was told to me by the recruiter was start at .32, you get two automatic increases at 3 mos and 6 mos; and then from there the Choice Pay program kicks in. He also said that MPG wasn't currently a factor, but they were working on adding it in. There was also additional stop pay, unloading, etc, and "Gold" zone driving if I wound up in the NE fleet.

For a starter company it doesn't sound bad; and sounds like I could be happy running with them for a while (I really hate job hopping).

freenow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.