Roehl begins contracts to work there?!?!?!!

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by flatbeddr3182, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Tortoise

Tortoise Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I Have been driving solo for 2 weeks now and I have no freaking idea how their cost to train me was anywhere near 3,000 dollars. I barely got any training. I did a day and a half orientation (which was more like 2 half days sitting around and watching like 2 videos) then got sent out with my trainer for 10 days. That is all. I chose Roehl because of their reputation for training and safety. Seems like I was misled, I don't feel like I am ready to be out on my own at all. Luckily I haven't hit anything and I am getting better everyday..just having to figure out a lot of things on my own. I just feel kind of fleeced that I signed this contract and I don't feel like I received proper training. And now I owe them if I screw up and get fired? It's a joke. DO NOT SIGN THIS CONTRACT!!!

XZRF4, UKJ and xlsdraw Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    Did you tell roehl that you weren't ready? I train at roehl and would say that you're trainer and roehl have some faith in you to put you out in that truck solo.... so how much do you think a trainer is worth per day...many young people pay far far more for college. You are getting paid every mile now.

4. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    You're suppose to communicate with your FTM daily. You didn't mention you weren't ready to move on to phase 3 once? Trainers don't sprinkle fairy dust on you to make you ready. If you're not ready you have to tell your FTM or somebody, not just come in the internet and start complaining that Roehl's training sucks.

5. Tortoise

Tortoise Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm just saying the value of the training to me wasn't worth 3,000 so think about that before you sign

xlsdraw and technoroom Thank this.
  6. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    I went through rdtc...paid 3400 up front and was reimbursed over time. Well worth it to me. Now with experience I can go and do what I want. Yet to find a better company to restart out with. And...I'm still learning and evolving in a good atmosphere. If you don't like otr...that's a different ballgame. Roehl protecting itself..this is a fluid industry. If you can get to nine months and get a raise or two...revisit this page/answer.

Tortoise Thanks this.
  7. Adventureron

Adventureron Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2014
    The training is their cost of doing business. Mostly all businesses provide some kind of training for new employees. If they don't want drivers to leave, pay them what they are worth and don't give them reasons to leave. If their turnover is high, it is their fault and it is also par for the industry.

The costs of training are factored into a carriers transportation fees. That is business. They don't need to collect it from new drivers. The $3000 cost is an exaggerated ruse and its purpose is to put the driver in debt in order to prevent him from leaving. The contract is unfair because it is one sided and states that a driver will owe the debt if Roehl terminates the driver with, or without cause.

8. technoroom

technoroom Heavy Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Tortoise, I'm sorry you didn't get the training that you'd been led to expect you'd receive. Assuming your description is accurate, what you described is not what I experienced a couple years ago when I was there. Thank you for sharing your experience here.

Take things easy, remember your "Safe Seven," and take your time these first few weeks. The fact you are conscious of your current level of driving experience is itself a good sign. I remember my first solo load, the very first time I was driving one of these trucks without anyone else in the cab with me, and was frankly scared $h!tless for the first few hours, even with all the training up to that point. It gets better.

goblue Thanks this.
  9. mtgmaker

mtgmaker Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's the part I don't like " a driver will owe the debt if Roehl terminates the driver with, or without cause."

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  10. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    So as a dollar amount, how much was it worth?

11. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    Prolly should have gone prime and teamed for six months to get your experience..some people like it that way. Time to take off those training wheels.

Mercy...I just don't see any trucking company let a driver go without cause... it's prolly in the contract but reely how often is without cause used???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.