Rolling Singled-out

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TheDude1969, Jul 30, 2016.

1. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    We've all blown a dual, and limped it to the next exit...and some lesser breeds have run on to complete the delivery, law and common sense be darnd. But I cannot find any law that prevents the driver from removing the old tire, leaving just an empty rim. And as far as I know, at 80,000lb the single wouldn't be over its weight rating. I searched the threads and this seems totally legit.
    So my question is what would be the best tool to carry to cut off a blown tire?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I got lucky once, it was an outside tire, so I just used a crowbar to get it off.

NavigatorWife and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  4. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    I've seen guys driving down the road with just a rim on one of the duals. If I'm empty I'll finish the trip with a flat dual if it stays on the rim, loaded I'll pull into the next tire shop unless I'm within 50 miles of my destination then I'll keep going.

bobtrucks2204 and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  5. ClineER

ClineER Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    N.E. Oklahoma
    At 80k you are overweight. 17k on an axle is balanced to 8500 on each side. So a single is overweight. But according to dot rules you can remove a blown tire and drive as long as not overweight on remaining tire

TheDude1969 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    I told a dude hauling those Ford frames last year he should single out his duals to get better mpg. He could have!

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    I was dot in CA. with a single out tire an off. ck. single tire to be sure it had 100lbs or more air in it to be ok.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's right Truck tires are rated for 5 grand, that remaining single has almost twice that riding on it. You would go slow and get somewhere that can fix you within the hour. Or you stand to lose that single dual.

This is the reason I always refused to run super singles. Duals give you a fighting chance.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  9. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Thanks guys, I didn't know the weight rating was so little. But I still have the question, what tool would be best for cutting one off?

10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    A sawmill and a hand full of blades will cut one in half. If it is an inside tire you are just better off removing the outer rim and removing the tire. An outside tire will just get pried off with a screwdriver or wrench and let the bare rim run in the air.

As long as you can scale out on that single you are ok with the DOT. Their was some guidance to that affect at one lime.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Tire shops mostly won't single out a set of duals, it's policy, but if the flat tire is really flat and went flat sitting still, it probably won't hurt it more to drive it flat, can't tell you how I know this.

I'm not the only one who should be embarrassed.

If the rim is steel and bent, it can be straightened on the axle with the tire in place, by a good man swinging a heavy hammer who knows what he is doing, and that 4 lb. hand sledge won't be enough. I watched this done last Friday, and pulled the trailer Saturday night, and the tire was fully inflated yet.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.