Rookies, Wannabees, & superheroes. This is a true run about Heavy Haul.

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Heavy Hammer, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    I've started this new thread, it begins with a copy from the Big Loads Photo section, but I don't believe this story belongs there. So here it is. I will be adding to this as time goes on. Why? Because the load is still not delivered as I start this thread.
    If you're one of the tittle people in this thread, understand that I am not talking down to you. We all had to start somewhere, even those of us with real big HH experience didn't start here our first day. It takes time, experience, and most importantly an ability to understand what your learning. Most of all, it takes the humility to listen and pay attention to those that have done, and know more than you and be willing to accept and learn from it. What they teach, will probably save your backside one day! If you read this story to completion it should naturally draw out some questions from within. If this is what you really want to do, the repeat question should be, Am I truly prepared to deal with this? "No, not yet" is an acceptable answer. As the story continues you should understand why. To those that know more than me, please point out and help me correct my mistakes. I am human, and I make them every day. And most importantly, I am still learning! I will do my best to convey my thoughts and some of the things I will encounter and have to deal with for the final, most difficult part of this journey.

FYI, the pics are about pg 74 of the Pictures thread...
    Unfortunately I've just been interrupted, and I have to go do something. I will post my report on my initial trip over the ice road & into the mine site and my thoughts on that later tonight hopefully...
    FYI, most say it can't be done. Stay tuned...

Raptor13, kptnt2016, Smut and 13 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    great insight on what you do. had no clue. thanx for sharing.

4. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Actually, the pics came up on 2 different pages for me (pg 67 & 72), but I'll post the direct links to the pics below so that other readers can find them easier, for now.
    Great thread, and one of a few good ones that I'll be watching closely.

Pic links (2):
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...567-big-loads-post-photos-67.html#post4425445
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...567-big-loads-post-photos-72.html#post4448662

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    Hammer, with your experiences & your ability to recall detail, you might consider publishing a book. It would be an eyeopener for ALL truckers. I know I would buy a copy. (autographed of course).

kptnt2016, G13Tomcat and kylefitzy Thank this.
  6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Threads, posts, and drivers like this are what make this site a great and invaluable resource

kptnt2016, TripleSix and macavoy Thank this.
  7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I'd like to know how that move was bid.

Starboyjim and macavoy Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I agree. Excellent group of guys in this forum. In the flatbed forum, you will see people come in and ask about the pros and cons, or is it worth the extra money? If they have to ask, then no, it's not worth it. Go pull another type of trailer. Flatbedding requires you to think. Heavy haul is a buttload of science and physics and math.
    Ever take a truck into a big city? We all have. Old tight streets, heavy traffic, signs and poles everywhere. Sharp turns. Narrow and crooked alleys all over. The truck feels huge. Ever taken a big load into or out of a city? It's a workout...even with pilot cars and the police with you. They're all support. You're the driver. Even with the roads cleared, it's going to take lots and lots of skill.

Houston, Austin, Miami, Orlando, Milwaukee, Long Beach, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, Cleveland, Seattle and Philly. I've pulled big loads right smack downtown to these cities and the cops had to clear everything out for me to get in. Stress? Someone will say, "They pay you guys the big bucks." And we will think, "Yeah, right...the money. If you want in this game for the money, you're going to hate it."

You have to be in for the challenge. You don't go heavy haul for money. A guy who will fight for money will be a bouncer. A guy who fights because he likes the challenge will be a fighter. There is a big difference between a fighter and a guy who fights.

So you have guys that see those big loads, big trucks with those big trailers and say, "I want to heavy haul! You see them in the truckstops, you see them rolling down the highway. Yeah, wouldn't it be cool to roll a superload down the highway! You don't see the prep work, the homework, the planning,...etc. As you can tell by Hammer's post, there's an incredible amount of work that's required by the driver to make that delivery a success.

I like to watch them work. That heavy haul driver. Load big as hell, and that driver is maneuvering that load around a turn. Easy on the controls. Easy on the throttle...pure finesse. Climbing those hills, letting the gears work. Descending that grade, geared way down, letting the jake control things. You know how people in cars think they're good drivers? Then they get into a truck and realize that they had no idea how to drive. The truck feels huuuuuuuge compared to a car. Then you pull a 10 wide. Feels huge. Can't see the trailer. Can't see to back up into a parking spot. Can't fit in at the Loves anymore. Full panic. "OMG, what am I going to do? I can't park at the Loves!" By the time you start pulling superloads, you don't even remember where you put your Loves rewards card.

I see guys who don't do their homework too often. I was eating dinner at the lunch counter when this guy tells me about his load he's pulling, 11 wide, 130k. Suddenly he gets his permits and he's ready to go. "Driver, you have a parking space? You may want to keep it. It's 4pm."

'Cant. Gotta run those miles!' And off he went.

Where are you running to driver? There's a metro curfew and the sun will be down before curfew is over. If you are parked stay parked. Sooner or later they all figure out that you can't run those big loads like general freight. The thing many don't figure out before they get the granddaddy of all driving awards is you have to do your homework.

We knew that even before HH picked that load up that he had to do tons of homework to make this one successful. Yellowknife???? In the winter? Taking a heavy load on the ice roads? I don't say anything, but I do chuckle when I hear drivers complain about having to drive all night or driving tired. Have you ever been to northern Canada or to the Territories in the winter? Try it and come back and tell me about night driving or being tired. I remember sitting in a diner while a snowstorm raged, being happy that I had finally gotten some hot food. Yeah, I have food in the truck too, but in Canada, the inside of your truck is all you can see. No internet, no phone service in most areas...nothing. There is a good reason why you always see heavy haulers at full service truckstops. Stuck at job sites for days, ports, weigh stations...etc.

Anyways, I would like to see some of you other OSOW guys list your homework and routes and stuff like HH did. It adds a lot to the pictures we see.

9. I still learn every day, I've asked hundreds of questions. I don't even feel the loads I've done compare. Whether its 10k or 100k, still takes planning , permits, routing. As well as tons of other items. One day I'll make my RGN leap.
    HH and Triple Six I appreciate all that you guys offer. It is valuable info, anyone who does a permit load of any kind.

uploadfromtaptalk1424421092948.jpg

sawmill, TripleSix and truckdad Thank this.
  10. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    For those that are following my story, there will be a delay. That was my interruption, all 3 operational cranes at the mine broke down. I have the only trailer available to bring in the last 80 ton RT to site, so I had to unload my building, with too small of a crane in Yellowknife (YK), pull section, load & tie the RT, submit an approval application to the ice engineers, meet with the JVWR supervisors as quickly as I could while scrambling to get the help I needed to do all of that. I put in a mad 12hrs, so I crashed as soon as I was done. I expect to be pulling out early this morning, and other than VHF radio, there is no communication once I leave YK. It takes 3 days with a regular trailer to make a round trip, without weather or other issues, so it will be at to east that long from this postings time. Sorry for the delay...talk to you in a few days.

11. Be safe HH. Take pics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.