Routing through Canada

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by jeffman164, Jul 23, 2016.

1. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Our company does not allow us to cut through Canada . On a run from Boston to Lansing , the miles from Central Dispatch invariably is routed through Canada . To go around Lake Erie through Ohio it adds about 100 miles to the load . I always inform the broker and either get the extra 100 miles added to the rate or pass on the load . Question : do most car haulers have the proper paperwork and licensing to enter from New York and exit through Michigan without delivering in Canada ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErikN

ErikN Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Washington state
    Check your permit book, if you have Ontario permits and Canadian insurance you should be legal, but there's many other considerations, also you need to meet logging standards for Canada which include keeping 14 days of logs instead of 8, having a rest period of at least 24 hours in the past 7 days, and to reset 70 you need 36 instead of 34 hours.
    also if you went into Canada you need to file an electronic manifest to CBSA and get it cleared before showing up at the border, don't have any guns, pepper spray, switchblades etc when you show up, oh and remember, freedom isn't free, have ten dollars for Homeland Security when you reenter America. I'm not sure how cars are regulated as cargo. you would be covered under cabotage rules so long as you only transite

Just drive the 100 miles.

Terry270 and crb Thank this.
  4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    That would be an insane amount of extra paperwork plus dealing with border patrol on both ends. I would run the extra 100 miles even if I was legal in Canada.

I'm with you on the CD miles though, it nearly got me once on a Michigan to MA load. The miles just seemed a bit short, glad I checked on my phone. Broker wouldn't up the price either, I passed on it.

5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I believe it's $13.05 now. Several times I've crossed and they were too busy to collect it.

skinnyb01 Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Sometimes they refuse to give change.

It is easier to just drive the 100 miles if it is a one off load. If you were doing it every day I'd say you would be better off to do it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.