Ruined a perfectly good Wilson 2000

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by lilillill, Oct 28, 2016.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Yep, I did.

So for future reference, do not try to drill a small hole in the side to let the water out. That coil is coated copper and makes tiny little shavings when you accidentally go too far.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
  4. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    The more you learn.

5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It should still work once you get the water out

6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Oh it still works alright... up on 32.765 mhz. And the SWR is more like a gradual dip below 2.0 and then stays below for about 1 mhz and a gradual rise back above 2.0.

I took the air hose to it to try to blow the shavings out and it went to a U shaped dip at 26...something.

Thankfully I had a spare coil.

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Why I don't like Wilsons...eventually that water inside will short them out. Last one I had lasted maybe 6 months.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I've had one for a couple of years. Still works good. I drilled two small holes in the bottom of the plastic when it was brand new and have never had a problem with it. I don't know why they don't manufacture them with drain holes. They're good antennas aside from the water problem.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    No water in my 5k roof mount after 7 years.

10. Hoodoo Voodoo

Hoodoo Voodoo Medium Load Member

Got a question here how important is it to have a CB radio these days ? I mean with everyone having cellphones and all . Is it just preference or do you use them as much as you did before the explosion of the cellphone? Also what is an affordable good brand of radio? Thanks in advance!!

11. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    What good is a phone on the road? I don't know the phone number of that driver in the Freightliner in the next lane. So I can't call him and tell him he has a strap loose on his flatbed load. Or the guy in the Pete with the oversized load. I need to let him know I'll slow down and let him pass right here where it's wide. Or the KW I need to tell about the cow that's standing in his lane right over that hill. Etc.

CB's are great for talking to other truckers. Or anyone in the area with a radio. I don't know how folks can stand to not have it on.

Affordable radios are plentiful. You can't beat a Cobra 25 or 29, in my opinion. You can catch them on sale for well under $100 at times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.