Rule Mandating Speed Limiters Delayed Again

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Straight Stacks, Apr 18, 2016.

1. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    lol, you of you must have driven when the national speed limit was 55. lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Speed limit being x vs. truck not being able to exceed y speed are 2 very different things.

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    While everyone presupposes that the limit will be 65 as it is in Ontario, we really don't know at this point. I have read it could be anywhere from 65-68, and if it is the later, everyone will still be able to pass Prime, Swift, etc out here. Wouldn't shock me a bit that if a mandate is 65, a lot of mega carriers might choke their trucks to 62. Either way, whatever my truck has to be speed limited to, it will always be able to run 15 mph over in those situations where I need to get on around someone. Amazing what one can do in an ECM.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  5. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    One of the issue they are trying to work out is how to make the system tamper proof, and according to engineers it's nearly impossible unless the ecu is designed that way from the factory. So retrofit likely won't be required, but manufacturers would likely need to incorporate it in the future. This is all speculation and rumors though...

6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    And therein lies the rub. Rumors and speculation. Probably there will be some form of coding done in future ECM's to prevent a "tampering" with speed limiter, but as we all know, there is no computer code that cannot be out done by someone, else Windows and OS X would not need revisions to protect from hackers, viruses, etc. There will more than enough desire for several diligent folks to find ways to circumvent code that the OEM's put in future ECM's. Necessity is the mother of invention.

7. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Be easy to bust trucks. Flat road , super trucker blowing by everyone .. Duh. Talk about a truck standing out if the law does get pushed

8. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
  9. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yea did you notice that chart real closely? Most fatal accidents happen at 50-55 mph according to that chart. 60-65 was second highest until 2014.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  10. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    They are slowing trucks down so they can get in more wrecks. LOL

11. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    I feel about it this way...if hillary wins counts on limiters...if trump, we got 4 more years of no limiters.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.