Running into Canada or not?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by glitterglue, Jul 24, 2015.

1. glitterglue

glitterglue Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Adair Village, OR
    I have run in and out of Canada as a company driver. As I like keeping my options open as I get ready to transition to being an O/O, I was wondering what do you O/O's do?

Are you spec'd to run into Canada (either by length or permits)? All of my Canadian runs have been with a 244" Tractor and a 53' dry van. Is it worth the permit hassle if you have a 250" - 280" WB truck? Have you ever been stopped and measured?

In your experience, do you find it worth the extra hassle at the border? Paperwork (PAPS & PARS), FAST / Passport, etc. etc..

Have you found Canadian loads (flat or van) pay more than US only loads, or is that pretty much a hit & miss?

Thanks!
    Michael

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    On a percentage lease, it may be worth it, but the extra hassle on a per mile lease probably not. Freight going to Canada can pay pretty well, but loading back from Manitoba, Sask, And Alberta is not good rates unless maybe you do something specialized.

glitterglue Thanks this.
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I've never done anything else.

I think the rates are better headed north.

You will need to get a Canada Customs Carrier Code (Canadian version of a SCAC code). Been a long time since I got mine but IIRC they are free. You also need an ACI electronic manifest account and you must create the E-manifest for every trip into Canada. You also need to get a SCAC code and pay the NMFTA like $50/yr for that and create an ACE manifest account and create and ACE manifest for your re-entry into the US.

I have been measured in QC and ON. If your wheel base exceeds 244", QC requires a $350 CDN annual permit to allow you to pull a 53 ft trailer.

I've never been hassled for wheel base in ON, but I have been measured for overall length. I'm going from memory here.... ON has a 23 Meter (75 ft - 6 in) overall length limit regardless of wheel base. You can get an annual for $400 CDN that bumps you up to 82 ft allowable.

The worst part is there is no permit for speed limiter law in ON and QC.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Ougigoug and glitterglue Thank this.
  5. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Couple of trips up there ago, I heard a guy on the CB staying that if you get a speeding ticket in ON or QC, there is an automatic violation of the limiter charge.

The last time, the customs broker didn't get the paperwork shuffled just right and I waited over 2 hrs. Ended up walking to the agent's office and got it handled within 15 minutes. First time for that.

glitterglue Thanks this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I think I remember reading that if the cops catch you speeding, "it will be assumed that you are in violation of the speed limiter law". Not sure what this means, but I think it is just a way for the cops to write you a speed limiter ticket without them actually having to check your truck to see if the limiter is set. They get way more revenue from a $400 limiter ticket than writing a speeding ticket for a driver doing 110 kph in a 100 for example.

I do know a driver that got pulled over for speeding. Story went like this:
    Cop: "I pulled you over because you don't have your speed limiter set.
    Driver: "It is set"
    Cop: "I had you at 115 kph going down that hill"
    Driver: "Speed limiters don't do crap on a hill"

glitterglue Thanks this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    At 115 or higher they can legally write you a ticket for non working governor without checking.

I wish they'd just increase a tax for everyone to pay rather than regulate the hell out of my business, followed by hiring more people to work for the government to find ways to steal people's money. I guess that doesn't bode well for re-election, though. "Safety" ... what a joke.

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Since July 1. 2012 Ontario has allowed a 282" wheelbase up from the 244" they had enforced prior to that

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    still need to comply with 23 meter over all length correct?

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Ontario .. Max 7.2 m wheelbase if pulling 53' , all vehicles except b trains must be max 23 m. Wheelbase unlimited if trailer is less than 53'. Just have to follow 23m rule then.

double yellow Thanks this.
  11. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Was just pointing out the increase in wheelbase was changed in 2012 and according to MOT/MTO it is still No combination of vehicles is permitted to exceed a length of 23 metres (74.75 ft.) except double- trailer combinations that meet special requirements for both trailers and the tractor.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.