Running into Canada or not?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by glitterglue, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    The hassles from running Canada is i guess province of Quebec.

We have the worst road system in north america.
    Anything east of Montreal is french only.
    Everything cost way too much.
    Fuel at 4.87$ ca.
    No truck stops network.
    DOT use 0.0 common sense.

Bottom line money has to be really good to come down here!

glitterglue Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Agreed. I add $500 to my rate for any into QC to cover fines.

4. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I agree with you that fuel is too expensive in Quebec, but the rest?

Worst highway system in North America? Been to the Maritimes lately? The TransCanada is tolled and not even twinned in most of Nova Scotia.

I have never met any cashier/waitress/mechanic at any truck stop east of Montreal who didn't speak English. (I ran Halifax-Montreal twice a week dedicated for 2 years and Halifax-Winnipeg-Halifax every week for another year)

As far as fuel networks go, it's not a Quebec problem: there are 0 Pilots in all of Canada, 0 Petros and only 1 TA for the whole country in Woodstock, ON. There is a Flying J in Quebec, on A-20 exit 152, east of Montreal. There is a network of Irving card locks, Ultramar, Petro-Canada, Esso and Shell basically the same as the rest of the country minus the odd Flying J or Husky. We don't fuel I. Quebec because the sales tax is .5% higher than Nova Scotia's.(15.5% vs 15%)

I've also never had a problem with DOT in Quebec. I got a ticket once for being over on an axle in spring weight, but I can't exactly blame them for that. We run 100% legal and so even if we are pulled over, it's all good. Consider Nova Scotia where they will pull a team driver out of the bunk and force them to restart their 10 off during a random level 3 inspection and refuse to give you a clean sheet. They only write up failed inspections and tickets.

5. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Yup been to the maritimes lately and nice compare to 20 between Mtl-Qc and everywhere around Mtl it's a joke.

Mtl itself we all speak english soon as you are out good luck most doesn't speak a word some has basic knowledge.

The J on 20 is a joke they sell their fuel 0.10 more per lites than anywhere else, if you want to use petro pass you need their card etc etc etc and there is no odd J in Qc Flying J want's to close every locations they have here.....i don't blame them!

As for DOT good for you! You didn't have to deal with them too much because believe me they have zero.zero common sense.

Did you know the nuts covers with a spike is illegal in Quebec, they consider that a minor defect!!!

I am not telling that all is bad but no doubt this is not trucker friendly country!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.