Running with tire missing.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by m16ty, Aug 31, 2016.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I was coming back from East TN today and had a blowout on the trailer. I was running empty. I called around and couldn't find a spare locally and I had some tire irons so I removed the tire from the wheel and drove on home.

I was more than a little worried that I'd see a state trooper and get stopped but I'm wondering if this is even against the law? It was a 3 axle trailer and being empty the good tire on that dual wasn't overloaded, I don't see it any different than somebody running super singles. Any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    If I was empty, and the rim was not sparking, I would take it to a shop or yard.

4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Your Fine- I see guys single out axles if they aren't hauling much- or empty- As Long as the COMPLETE junk carcass is removed ( No tire rembrants of any kind left on wheel)

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Totally fine .
    As long as the remaining tire is not overloaded .

People have been doing this for years.

Back in the bias ply days of trucking, when you had a flat on the steer they would single out a drive and run it on the steer.
    No diffrence really .

Scalemaster and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I've done that with my stud-piloted wheels. Cut a steer down on a jobsite, so I rolled my inner drive up onto a block, jacked up the steer, and swapped the outside drive up onto the steer and the flat steer onto my catwalk. Got my load dumped and drove to a tire shop to have a new steer mounted and the drive tire put back where it belonged.

But yes, as long as the single tire isn't overloaded, you can run with it singled out as long or as far as you desire.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Wtf? That's all I got to say

magoo68 Thanks this.
  9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Not in the Biz yet . But been following you guys for 3 years and still on the Fence.

I am very mechanical

I have a 1200 lb 3/4 inch impact and a 10 ton jack , both pennies.

Why not carry a spare on a rim on these trucks and hit the next safe area to change it out.

To be honest I have always been a advocate of new quality tires on my vehicles ,so have only suffered one failure after running over a big bolt in the road.

Quite a few nails and screws over the years in my growing town. A good reamer and plug and always have air onboard.

Soo Why not be self sufficient?

10. Mr. Premium

Mr. Premium Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    The tools required to do this properly would not be a part of a company drivers truck. Liability, pay to the driver, etc, just prohibits having the essentials on-board to even replace a tire.

As such, mobile tire guys are called out.

I own my own truck, but would still have to call a tire guy, since I do not carry the required gear to fix a tire.

In fact, my day cab doesn't have room for all the required items to replace a tire! I don't even have a space for a spare!

So, you build it into your business plan to accept these expenses, should they occur.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Company trucks do not carry tools to be self sufficient.

I packed in my own tools, valves, parts, fluids etc. A spare wheel is not part of that kit. There might be a wheel under the trailer sometimes, otherwise take it off and transfer to Steer axle if need be. Otherwise limp to a shop.

When you get that boom, after the first few times of being scared out of your head you will see what is possible on that second dual should it survive. Now super singles I wont touch for a variety of reasons not really related to here.

You can get self sufficient if you like. It will cost you in weight first then the wallet second.

There is a large difference in wheels during my time. Back in the 70's you had tires on rims on wheels with spoke. 5 bolts and it's off the outer. The inner requires a bit more work. Today's aluminum or steel wheels have their own bolts and usually a axle hub over it. There isnt much value in taking them off yourself.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.