RV/5th wheel delivery

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tomhorn, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Attitude:)

Attitude:) "Love each Day as if it was your last"

Jul 13, 2007
    TX NM & CO
    posted by tomhorn :The cost for a Class B CDL is $900 vs $4500 for a class A

Am I missing something here? Is that for the class or just the CDL? I only paid 75.00 for mine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Well Tom it sounds like you have it pretty much figured out and I wish you the best of luck. The crew cab is a good idea as far as sleeping and rest go. When you are doing your fifth wheel hitch set up you might also want to have a hitch put in so you can haul goose neck trailers, thats what alot of horse trailers are anyway, also more options trailer wise that way and I know they they do make some sort of combo fifth wheel/gooseneck units like that. Maybe also have get an extra fuel tank/tool box, that way you can a; save $$$ on fuel and b; take advantage of the shower facilities at truckstops for free. I dont think you will have to shell out so much for a class B CDL, just study and get it on your own. I think in your scenerio your dead head might be a little low. Anyway wish you well and I would be interested in hearing how things go down the road.

4. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I guess Im wondering what the class is for. If you have the contacts, and a truck with a license, thats all you should really need, why pay someone 700 bucks for a class and fork over 900 bucks for a B CDL? 900 seems like a lot.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have been doing the RV delivery for over 3 years since I got out of the big truck. When it got slow last year I went back into the big trucks for 4 months.

The first 1/2 of the year 2007 has been good. The last 2 months are extremely slow. The freight out of Goshen has declined considerably due to the economy.

I would suggest contacting the carriers based out of the Goshen area.

I had my own authority last year and tried to to do on my own. None of the factories were interested in getting another new carrier. Their reason was they didn't have enough freight for the ones they have.

I don't understand the training fee charge. All you need is to call the firms and find out hiring requirements. All of them have orientation you must attend.

You WILL be subject to DOT Laws and must use a log book.

I make enough to get by, I do this full time, my wife also works full time.
    This month I have sat a lot waiting for freight. Only 2 loads.

I personally think you are overly optimistic on back hauls. I have had very few over my years. Not all freight goes to areas where you can get a back haul.

6. Truck Vet

Truck Vet <strong>NRA AMA Libertarian</strong>

Aug 30, 2006
    I had a class B for several years, my employer helped me get it
    when I deliverd produce. If your going to take a class and
    get a CDL I suggest you go ahead and get your class A.

Reason is, Hillary is the current frontrunner. If she wins and
    the Dems control congress there will be tax increases on the "Rich".
    The "Rich" are people makeing enough to buy an RV.
    Remember when the Dems raised taxes on the boating industry?
    It put a lot of people out of work. Same thing could soon happen
    to the RV industry. If that happens you want a Class A to fall back on
    not a class B.

7. tomhorn

tomhorn Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    OK, I do appreciate all the advice and keep it coming.

The $900 is for a 3 day class for the Class B. I suppose I could try on my own, just like I could try starting the RV hauling without the class on that. The thing is, I'm a much better learner when I'm shown (interactive learner vs aural or visual) and I believe that if you get advice or training that teaches you a few things you might otherwise miss, its worth it.

The design we are working on for the bed has 5th wheel, gooseneck and 2" set ups and multiple pigtail options, so I could haul pretty much any set-up.

Now, while I have the attention of a few experts here, let me state my real quandry here:

I keep going back and forth as to whether I want to get a full blown class A and get a trucking job or do something like this RV thing. The reason I keep leaning toward the RV deal has mostly to do with flexibility and freedom. My huge concern about going the traditional trucking route is the things I keep reading about these entry level companies. If I thought I could get a job that would afford me some decent home time, not mandate loads, not lie to me and attempt to cheat me and pay me a decent wage, I'd do it. But my choices seem to be a bunch of companies that either mistreat drivers or want you to go 10-14 days out and then just get 1-2 days at home. My Traditional choices seem to be the following:

1) Cypress: Do alot of grunt labor at first and continuously do heavy load securement, tarping/untarping, get paid poorly, drive absoltely dangerous junk, but be home most weekends;
    2) Star: Drive decent equipment and supposedly get home weekends, but risk getting what I'm promised, since Covenent now owns them and has just about THE WORST reputation in the business;
    3) TMC: Drive nice trucks, but be out 14 days, home only 38-48 hours and do heavy tarping/untarping. No Terminal in my area and noplace to park the truck at home w/o paying;
    4) Comcar: On the road a lot, lost in the cog of a huge company and no terminal to park the truck in JAX;
    5) Werner: Once again on the road alot and no terminal. most loads originate/terminate away from JAX;
    6) CR England: I've heard bad things and its again gone alot. I've aleady talked to these guys and they're already being rude;
    7) US Express: More hometime problems and hearing very bad things.
    8) Schnieder: On the road alot, lost in a huge company and bake in an orange oven on layovers and rest stops.

I was given the name of a guy by the Driving school who runs a small fleet out of JAX. He runs teams under contract for FedEx. It's supposedly 5 days out, JAX/LA/JAX 24/7 run, then 3 days off. I'm not sure how I feel about marathon team driving, but the time off appeals to me, as does the fact that the FedEx terminal in JAX is less than a mile from my home and the huals are hook up in JAX, run like hell to LA, Drop and hook and run like hell back. This guy supposedly only hires 1 or 2 new guys a year, does the run with them personally for the first 5-8 weeks, then teams them and runs pretty decent, newer equipment (Petes and Volvos I believe). I may try calling this guy and see what its about.

So there we have it from "Ramble On Tomhorn". This is my quandry: Go with big, impersonal outfit and risk getting screwed, team drive long huals with an honest outfit, making decent money,but doing a gig that I wouldn't prefer or just get a truck, haul RVS and such, make very little, but be free and fish. I know the finacial decision is ultimately mine, but what are your thoughts on the big companies or the FedEx contractor. I especially want to hear from Brickman.

TL

8. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I have seen a kingpin adapter for the 5th wheel that basically slips in place of a kingpin and has a gooseneck ball on it so you can switch back and forth between the two types.

LB

9. BigDiesel

BigDiesel Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Somewhere....
    This is a great way to work for free.....

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

If they are offering the $2 a mile DO NOT under cut it. Just say thank you and take it. Undercutting DOES NO ONE any good............ ever.

11. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I saw this earlier...don't offer to work for less than what they are offering to pay. Mainly because of the x number of drivers they have working for them, delivering product...you taking less money will only have them paying everyone the same 2.5 a mile and you less. You won't get more loads because...you can only take so much at a time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.