RV/5th wheel delivery

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tomhorn, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Have you ever considered doing "Driveaway" work? This would give you the same flexibility that you are talking about with "Towaway" but with less risk. The expenses are still pretty high but, you seem to be a very creative guy and I'm sure you can figure out ways to save on the costs.

In case you aren't familiar with driveaway, it is basically delivering new and used vehicles(i.e. firetrucks,schoolbuses,RV's,repo'd semi tractors,etc.) to wherever they are needed. The driveaway companys hire drivers as contractors(as far as I know they still do it this way.) and thus you are responsible for fuel in the vehicle to deliver and transportation costs to get to the next job(plane,bus,rental car or whatever). I am not sure as to the actual payscale but with some research on your part, this may prove a viable third alternative option.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tomhorn

tomhorn Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have seen drive away and that is also an interesting thought. They also do that with motorized RVs, but I think they want more OTR experience for that. I believe they let you use a tow car and certainly using a Saturn would make backhauls way cheaper. Thanks for the idea, I'll look into that.

4. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    At one time(been probably ten years ago, so I can't vouch for any accuracy in this comment)there was a driveaway/towaway company that hired student drivers right out of school. They were called Morgan driveaway/towaway. I don't even know if they are still in business much less if they still hire rookies.

Good Luck

5. CaptRon

CaptRon Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2007
    America
    I tried to do this and got into it right after Katrina and Rita hit. I bought a used Ford F-250 and started without a CDL. I was making $2.50 per loaded mile and DOT regs were suspended so I was driving 24 hours a day with a partner. Times were OK. The mass transport ended and it was back to the normal RV operations. Pay went down to .74 cpm with maybe a .20 cpm fuel surcharge. Remember this is loaded! They try to tell you that you will get back hauls but after 1 year leased on with 3 different companies I only got one and that was at half rate (they claimed I was coming back anyway so I should be happy with what I got). I took every run they gave me. The best were from Goshen, IN to Texas. No tolls, permits and very few open weigh stations and good fuel prices. BTW: Flying J in Matthew, Mo has almost always had the best prices. The worst were out east and west where you had to pay $$ to get into AZ and NM and lots of toll in the east and pay big bucks for fuel. You got reimbursed for tolls but they were still out of pocket.
    You have to run a log book and the companies check them hard. Pay is by check (good luck cashing them up there ) or ComData (everyone charges a fee to get your $$). They pay 50% up front and the balance when they get the paperwork (when you get back or pay your own $$ to overnight it to them).
    They tell you not to sleep in the trailers but..... Also remember that DOT does not recognize the back seat of your truck as a sleeper, even if you do a top notch conversion.
    I ended up with my truck breaking down in Coer D' Lane, Idaho and I left it at the Ford dealer there. I switched to Driveaway and bought a jeep to pull behind the RV's. I had to get at least a CDL B but I got an A. With Driveaway you get less per mile.
    Remember you really only make 1/2 of what they offer because the chance of back hauls is slim to none.
    If you are still interested a few of the better companies are
    D&T Transport in Goshen, IN ask for Amy
    Classic Transport in Elkhart, IN ask for Tiffany
    Quality Driveawy in Goshen, IN ask for Dan
    It was fun as a way to see the USA but it stunk as a way to take care of my family.
    Oh, BTW don't pay anything to learn this field, they will all run you through an orientation and teach you what they want you to know.
    Good Luck
    Ron:biggrin_2556:

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The F350 with car hauler will put you under the CDL requirements also. This is based on the weight towing over 10,000 lbs. There are two sections of the FMCSA code that deal on this. One is combined weight and the second is the towed vehicle weight under combinations.

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Absolutely and FL is a state that WILL enforce the regs on hot shots. Plenty of states like CO, TX, LA, AL don't. But WY and FL are two that do. I'm sure there are others.
    To do that job with the set up you described you'll be running a full blown CDL, DOT regulation operation. Is it worth that?

8. tomhorn

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    FDOT told me that a CDL is only required if you have a combined weight of 26,001 or are hauling a 10,000 Lb HAZMAT trailer. They told me that if it's just cars or freight it's exempt. What did I miss?

9. tomhorn

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    OK, here it is. It's been a few years since I did legal interpretation of law, but allow me to put my interpretation below each subsection and please, let me know if you think I've interpreted something incorrectly:
    ------------------
    Subpart F — Vehicle Groups and Endorsements
    §383.91 Commercial motor vehicle groups.
    (a) Vehicle group descriptions. Each driver applicant must possess and be tested on his/her knowledge and skills, described in subpart G of this part, for the commercial motor vehicle group(s) for which he/she desires a CDL. The commercial motor vehicle groups are as follows:
    (a)(1) Combination vehicle (Group A) — Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

----------
    A tractor/trailer where the combined weight is 26K AND the trailer(s) weight more than 10K. Simple.
    -----------

(a)(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B) — Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

------------
    A single vehicle weighing over 26K or a vehicle over 26K towing anything.
    --------------------

(a)(3)Small Vehicle (Group C) — Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

------------
    Any vehicle carrying 16 or more passengers for hire (incl driver) or carrying hazardous materials.

The above definitions do not include a pickup weighing under 26K and towing a trailer, unless the combied weight exceeds 26K.

Therefore, if I have a Ford F350 weighing 7K lbs and pull a trailer with a gross loaded weight of 18K lbs, that equals 25K lbs and I'm exempt from the CDL. If you can point me to some regulation that states otherwise, please do.

10. tomhorn

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Then there's this from Florida DOT's website:

A CDL is a commercial driver license, which is required when you drive the following vehicles:
    · Trucks or combinations with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) that exceeds 26,000 lbs. If present, a towed unit should weigh more than 10,000 lbs.
    · Trucks with a GVWR that exceeds 26,000 lbs.
    · Vehicles transporting hazardous materials in amounts requiring placards, or made to transport more than 15 people (driver included), with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.

I don't think I need a CDL, however, I believe I can still get a MC#, must keep a logbook, stop at scales and meet inspection requirements. My insurance guy said he understands it this way and has several dozen clients doing exactly this. I've also talked to a couple of RV transport companies that say you do not need a CDL to deliver 5th wheels, as long as you are under 26K GVW. Some said they require it, but that the law does not. Others say they don't require it, as long as you have a clean MVR and some towing experience.

I've got a call in to FDOT to verify all of this, but I think this is correct.

11. tomhorn

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    WOW! OK, I called the local FDOT Motor Carrier Compliance Office and spoke to a Lt. there. She said that if the trailer has a GVWR or over 10K you must have a CDL A, regardless of compined GVWR. I Told her that was not my interpretation, so we both looked at the statute and their flow chart in the Com Driver Lic Manual. It said what I said, but she still kept disagreeing. I knwew I was right but thanked her. She said she had written multiple tickets for trailers over 10K GVWR where the combined GVWR was under 26K and nobody had fought them. Boy is that a shame.

Next I called the distict office in Lake City and talked to a Sargent who gave me the same answer as she did. I did not get into it with him as deeply as with her.

Then I called the headquarters in Tallahassee and spoke to a Major. I explained the situation as a truck with a GVWR of 7K pulling a trailer with GVWR of 18K for total 25K. He confirmed that no CDL is required and that the 10K rule ONLY comes into effect when combined GVWR is in excess of 26K. I told him I had gotten a wrong answer from two of his field officers and that this is apparently widely misunderstood. He said he would clarify this to his field offices.

I'm guessing once I start doing this I will get ticketed. I will fight it and I will win. The law is on my side.

The following is right out of the Florida Commercial Driver's Handbook. Read it carefully, especially the flow chart. Am I right or what?

--------------

There is a federal requirement that each state have minimum standards for the licensing of commercial drivers.
    This manual provides driver license testing information for drivers who wish to have a commercial driver license (CDL). This manual does NOT provide information on all the federal and state requirements needed before you can drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV). Information for CMV operation requirements may be obtained from the Florida Department of Transportation, Office of Motor Carrier Compliance, or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
    You must have a CDL to operate:
    • Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
    • A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more.
    • A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver).
    • Any size vehicle that is used in the transportation of any material that requires hazardous materials placards or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.
    To get a CDL, you must pass knowledge and skills tests. This manual will help you pass the tests. This manual is not a substitute for a truck driver training class or program. Formal training is the most reliable way to learn the many special skills required for safely driving a large commercial vehicle and becoming a professional driver in the trucking industry.
    Figure 1.1 helps you determine if you need a CDL.
    [​IMG]
    Figure 1-1​

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.