RV, Boat, Cars, or Flat Bed

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Cummins757, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Cummins757

Cummins757 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    New Jersey
    Im looking to get into the hot shot business. I know its a lot of work, lot of money, etc. What I am trying to figure out is what everyone thinks is the best bang for the buck to get into. Should I go with dedicated RV, boat, or car hauling, or should I get a flatbed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    My 2 cents, Set yourself up so you can haul all of the above. It's doable. Versatility is the key to staying busy.

4. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Spend some time reading the posts in this section of the forum. Most say that RV doesn't pay all that well, and you'd have to be close to an RV Manufacturer. Same with car hauling from what I read. Boats are pretty specialized, and I'm not sure you could make a lot hauling smaller boats. Check with marinas in your area and also read posts here.

From New Jersey, I'd look at a flatbed with enough features to suit as many shippers as possible. What I'd get if I was buying (or if I buy another one) is a deckover flatbed with drop-down dovetail, air ride, and install a tarp system like the big flatbeds run. Length and capacity to suit the truck you're using to pull. From my experience, I'd go with at least 24 foot. The caveat is that the bigger the trailer, the more it weighs and the less your payload capacity is.

5. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Just make sure the work is there for whatever trailer you're thinking about purchasing. Myself I wouldn't consider anything with less than 40' of loadable deck space. And I'd pay close attention to the weight of the trailer you're looking at. Make the dealer puts it on a scale before you buy it.

6. Cummins757

Cummins757 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    New Jersey
    I think I have decided on just getting a tractor and flatbed with split axle. That way I don't have to worry about weight, and it already has a sleeper so comfort is better

7. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
  8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    While I don't haul hotshot, I spent part of today talking to a friend who does. He has a 2012 Ram 3500, dually, pulls a 30' enclosed trailer. He gets his loads from a couple of boards, including the dreaded U-Ship. He hauls motorcycle, snowmobiles, ATV's and small cars and other general freight. He also works with one of the local RV dealers on occasion to pick RVs from customers or return them to them. He tried the RV route when he got started, but almost went broke without back hauls.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.