RV Transport Equipment ??

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Beatriz Andrade, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Beatriz Andrade

Beatriz Andrade Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Hello,

Im thinking of going into the RV transport business and well I'm new and have no experience but I'm still willing to give it a try and I'm asking for all the help. I will need it! Anyway, I want to start off small.
    I'd like to buy a pick up like this one

2010 Ford F250 XL
    http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/610214276/overview/

I want to haul under 16,000lbs because, if i'm correct, I would need a Non-CDL Class C license for anything over 16,000 lbs. If i'm wrong please correct me. Does anyone know any companies that would allow this? What other equipment would I need? Any additional advice I would really appreciate.

Thank you,
    Beatriz

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Ya trying to do this as like a hobby type thing, maybe retired and what a supplemental income.... Or a full time profession?

4. Beatriz Andrade

Beatriz Andrade Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I would like to do it full time

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No company should allow it but that said, the 250 is too small, get a 350.

As for the license, it is dictated through insurance like anything else

6. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will) but CDL doesn't kick in until you're over 26000 lbs combination weight (truck + trailer). You don't want that truck shown. You want an F350 with dual rear wheels, and believe me - you'll be MUCH happier with an XLT Lariat. Forget the King Ranch - It'll just get stolen.

If you can find a 2003 F350 dually, automatic trans, Lariat package with a 7.3L diesel around 100K miles you'll have all the truck you need for years to come. Do NOT buy a 2008. 7.3L means 2003 or before. Stay away from the 6.0L diesel unless it's had the necessary upgrades to head studs along with the egr delete. Look for a truck in Texas or Arizona. Your truck MUST have the trailer towing package, which includes transmission and oil coolers among other stuff.

Check the Ford Towing Guide for the year you're looking at to determine maximum trailer weight you can handle. For 2003, it's 12,400 lbs. All up with truck and trailer you'll be well under the 26000 lb limit.

Above all, check with trailer manufacturers in your area to see whether there's enough business available for you to make your desired level of income.

7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    You sure bout this OP ? The way I read it RV's are slow and one way. They are also tied tightly to the economy and the oilfield ( big buyer of RV;s ) is dying. Summer is about over so the rec. buyer is pretty well flushed out too. All this translates to a dropping demand for units.

If you must then do what he said, 7.3 Ford dually, I say NO to 6.0 period or step up to a 6.7

Good luck
    JMO

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    F250 is too small. An F350 would be adequate. Personally I'd get a little single axle Pete or Freightliner. Engine brake, better brakes, more power. Plus you'd save a fortune on hotels if you bought one with a sleeper.

9. bsmith0404

bsmith0404 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Las Cruces, NM
    I've been transporting since Feb with a 2011 3500 Duramax dually. I agree with the others, get a dually. As for the CDL, it goes by GCVWR. My truck GVWR is 13k, I cannot pull any trailer that has a GVWR that exceeds 13k without a class A CDL. I'm still debating if I want to get the CDL or not. So far it has cost me 2 loads that would have come very close to home. I live in NM so I run empty to IN and look for loads going west, southwest is even better. An18 or 20k 5th wheel hitch and a weight distribution hitch with 1,000 lb bars is pretty much a requirement. Probably the best piece of equipment I have added is an auxiliary fuel tank. Having over 100 gallons and a range of over 1000 miles allows me to fuel where the fuel is cheapest. For example, I can get fuel in WY, top off in UT, go into CA, drop and get back to AZ before needing fuel again. Lately that means saving nearly 50 cents per gallon. Plus it's a pain to stop every 300 miles for fuel.

tompetty69 and LGarrison Thank this.
  10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Good luck finding a company to lease on to with a semi. Besides, the MPG would bankrupt you.

RVTransporter Thanks this.
  11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I would bet a single axle semi with a 12.7 detroit would get 8 mpg all day pulling 15000. A little diesel pickup will struggle to get 7 i bet.

rabbiporkchop and Alberta trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.