RV Transport Equipment ??

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Beatriz Andrade, Jul 24, 2015.

1. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Wow it sure is funny that I stay busy all year round

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dodge277

Dodge277 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2016
    LG, i'm certainly not debating you're busy ,
    and glad you are. I'm actually VERY glad to hear it ,
    as i know you've done it a lot longer than
    i have. I'm not negative about this at all.
    . :)

heck i'm fine with it.
    Hey , you , roadmedic, and several you guys spoke of a rvforum related to this? is there one? link?

I live here, in Northern Indiana, work in this industry, and I see the number of trucks/ trailers in and out of this area everyday that i'm not out somewhere. lol

There are serious slow downs?
    and i think you said it took you a decade to get all the connections you have that help you stay busy right?
    I truly applaud the effort and hope to be in your posiotion and do better every year myself. I don't think i've been without a load, i bust my ### at it and they seem to appreciate that and have my back.
    However it did get very slow recently. Dint matter for me as my truck was down ,but i sure dint see much moving. They are calling me regularly again, so its obviously picked up some.

I would just truly warn the average person quitting some job, and counting on steady income from this industry, to not ignore that the slow downs are seasonal and pretty normal.

I'd add i'm sure it matters who you are signed on with.
    Thees contracts with the manf's seem to waffle a bit between the various transport firms.
    I enjoy who I haul for and pretty loyal. Ultimately though if they don't get
    the contracts that other firms do, i'd need to switch.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have done this full time since 2003. I run each week and could run more if I wanted to. I no longer acknowledge the one who says it is slow. I called today and got a 1225 mile load to run. There are slow downs in all parts of trucking. It will slow down for the plant closures during the fourth of july holiday. I will still be running.

I will pm the address.

MadMax17 and LGarrison Thank this.
  5. Dodge277

Dodge277 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2016
    Thanks, I've done it awhile but still learning, especially on the flat bed side which is fairly new to me.
    Seriously
    Thinking of investing in a new better trailer more suited specifically to this, had tge down payment made and them starting on the build and why the slow down concerned me.
    Might have just hit harder on the firm I leased to, who knows.

6. MadMax17

MadMax17 Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've been told by a driver at Horizon that July is sloooow, but picks back up in Aug. for the "New 2017 Models" to enter the pool! Same driver tells me this is a very lucrative business... I'm about to leave an OTR job with Roehl (flatbed) to start the driveaway buz (currently only at about $900 wk ave). I live in Vegas & know this is a good retirement spot for the S.W. Deliveries... I'm willing to purch. a towable auto to run hard. Am I on track for $75-100K ?
    Also; is Horizon the Big Dog (or one of them) for "Class A" RV movers??? Only two people so far, but are animate this is the gig.
    Could someone steer me to which company is the best to work for? I'd like to drive Class A only if possible, tow my car for reloading. Or which are the top 3-5 RV Driveaways? Thanks in advance gents....

7. LGarrison

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Just hang on the pigeon will be around soon

8. lastone in

lastone in Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Plano, TX.
    Loyd, (As far as I can tell), means me. Still funny - Loyd.

I only do drive away now. I had done tow away for the first 3 years. It’s just too tough on equipment, (trucks), and the money is just not there. If you are like Loyd - you got outside business that takes several years to develop. It keeps him busy. I think he finally understand that he is NOT delivering RV’s year round. We have gone over and over on this in the past.

AS far as getting $75-$100K a year doing drive-away I just don’t see how. Basically you would have to do around 225 to 250K miles a year! I only do around 25-30 a year because I don’t run in the winter or summer - don’t want to - don't need to.

Remember - drive away only pays around $.80-.1.00 a mile.

Loyd - BTW Went through Sandpoint twice this year. Stayed in the Walmart parting lot. Nice little town.

9. Dodge277

Dodge277 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2016
    I assume Roehl flat bed pays about .40 to .50 all miles now?

So I don't see how changing to driveaway rv, at .80 to 1.00 a mile one way is going to be a pay hike.

I'm happy with what I do, but I don't think I could make it on driveaway ,
    just being realistic on the number of miles you could get paid for, and return /deadhead costs. (And what I need to clear)
    So it would depend on what someone needed to make.
    Who I'm leased to allows towaway drivers to do motorized as well if qualified /and thru orientation on it, if there are no trailers, but I've yet to see that happen and never looked into it.

10. lastone in

lastone in Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Plano, TX.

I kind of evolved into Drive-away. I was following a drive-away delivery driver in a class c with my Ram pulling a 13,000 pound fifth wheel to California back in 2014. I gave him a ride back to Elkhart for $200.00. On the way I started doing the math. With a low cost Ford Ranger behind Drive Away runs, It made more sense to switch over to drive away. I have never looked back. I don’t run all year. Just a few months during the delivery season.

MadMax17 Thanks this.
  11. LGarrison

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Shows what you know Walmart in Ponderay not.Sandpoint.

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.