RV Transport vs. LTL/HotShot Hauling

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by BSTT450, Feb 20, 2013.

1. BSTT450

BSTT450 Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    Lets weigh the Pros vs. Cons everyone!!

Some questions to answer:
    • (Honest) Avg per Mile Rate?
    • Own Authority vs. Company lease with whom?
    • Backhauls/reload rate?
    • Total per Year Expenses?
    • Total per Year PROFIT?
    • AVG weeks worked per year?
    • Worth it for a Newbie?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll only survive in RV hauling if your truck is already paid for and you have some type of pension or wife with a good paying job . High gas prices are likely to have a real negative effect on RV sales like they did several years ago when over a dozen RV plants shut down permanently .
    For real hotshot you should lease with a carrier like ACME . Don't try it on your own . It's too competitive with haulers working too cheap . Avoid M&H logistics .
    There are a few hotshotters on here that have had a successful business for several years . I can't think of any that have gotten their authority in the last year or two and made it .

lastone in and BSTT450 Thank this.
  3. mcgoo422000

mcgoo422000 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    Avoid gary? thats an understatment. I've asked some acme drivers before and they said they wasn't making a whole lot of money as if any of us are. I've had my authority for seven years now and there's only a few I can remember from then still running.
    The area that most make the mistake in is buying a truck the business can't pay for. My truck has been called old several times but it still goes @ 542,000. Plus I have a two spares at home.

123456 and RickG Thank this.
  4. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Your information is located in the LTL forum.

5. BSTT450

BSTT450 Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I was hoping to get a broader perspective from more O/O's and not biased opinions towards LTL only. Can I not post in two different forums? (New to the Forum thing)

6. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    You can post it here but itd be better to be in the hotshot/expedited forum. The mods will move it if it needs to be move. I would say rv hauling would be a good choice i see a lot of them rolling around idk what the pay is last time i seen it was like 1.35 or 1.40/mile. Running a 3/4 or 1 ton your going to pay a lot more for oil changes and be prepared to stop for fuel every 250 miles or so. 8mpg is about my best pulling a 13000lb camper with my cummins. Mountains will be a huge pain and make sure you have a boost pyro and trans temp gauge. Hotshotting with a gooseneck is an option as well but its harder on your truck. Get used to grossing 22000lbs on the trailer instead of 17000 max. Me personally id rather have a freightliner sport chassis for rv hauling or hotshotting but thats me. Good luck and stay off uship

BSTT450 Thanks this.
  7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah , RV hauling pays $1.35 -$1.40 a mile - loaded . Backhauls are almost nonexistent so almost half the time you are running unloaded at your expense . Actual pay to the truck is less than $.70 per mile .
    Ten years ago there were RV plants in TX , CA , OR , MD , PA , and other states that allowed you to reload more often . Those plants closed permanently . Most loads are out of IN .

8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand hauling RV's around the country is a good way to wear out a pickup and have nothing to show for it afterwards.

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Same thing with M&H Logistics . :biggrin_2559:

10. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    I checked out RV hauling a few years ago. Without a backhaul, there's little money to be made and I would not want to live out of a pick up truck.

:biggrin_25513:

There's much more money to be made with a FL80 pulling a 40' tri-axle step hauling LTL loads.
    A FL80 can have a real sleeper. Yes, you can spend $60k on a new pick up, then add a sleeper for another $20k, or you can buy a used FL80 for $20k.

Draft saved Draft deleted