Salary/pay question

Discussion in 'Swift' started by cannonrush, Nov 25, 2015.

1. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I'll defend swift and say it's really not a "bad" company. Their drivers screw a lot of crap up you can't deny that but when 50% of your drivers have less than 6 months experience it can make a company that large look pretty...silly.

I got my foot in the door with Swift. I was eager to drive but needed some flexibility for upcoming events. They hired me in 3 days and met my needs so I climbed aboard. The pay isn't amazing but it is fair. The equipment is fair. And for a new driver they give you all the chances you could need, really, it's hard to fail at swift. For those reasons I don't think it's a company every new driver should completely swear off.
    However, if you can go somewhere else - especially the companies Chinatown mentions, I think you'll have a more positive and profitable experience.

I was only at Swift 2 months and where I'm at now is worlds different. Last week I got caught in a snow, held up at terminals, and had a minor breakdown. My co-driver and I totaled 2,000 miles combined. Owner of the company called and said sorry for our luck - paid us for 6,000 miles + detention. Being taken care of like that would never happen at Swift.

RookieJ1987, TBonze and Sneakerfix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Yes i agree with your points but it seems like leisurely driving.not really worth my time to be out of home for 5 days a week (you are probably out for 2 weeks at time no?).if i am to make $700 a week i rather work as helper in hvac or something for same money without worrying about being killed on the road and will sleep in my own bed every night.

TBonze Thanks this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I send my 'arrived at' macro when I pull up, and that covers me most of the time.
    When a shipper states that I have arrived only when I get to the office I get there at least 30 minutes early to make sure. If that stipulation is not in my load assignment comments, it does not count.

I get paid detention after 2 hours from the appointment time.

And I'm not saying everything is fair.
    But nothing is really fair in Life or Death. It is what it is.

A big part of our job is simply to learn the rules under which we operate.
    After that, it is very simple.

We can stress over it as much as we wish. But in the end it is our own choice whether to accept it or fight against it.

Sneakerfix and scottlav46 Thank this.
  5. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Ok we can agree to disagree.good luck to you and drive safe.out of curiosity how many miles on average do you make within 5 days?

6. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I don't judge things by how many miles per day I make.
    But, that's just me.

And I'm usually out 4-5 weeks between home times, so a 5 day average is even less meaningful.

I do a job that allows me to earn enough money to survive, to have some fun home times with my girls, and to allow a little extra.
    That's all I care about.

It has NEVER been only about the money with me.
    And it never will be.

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  7. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Great ,whatever floats your boat.I am out for 5 days at time,sometimes 12 but only if i want to.If i won't make 600 miles per day on average it makes a bad bad week for me.but to me brother it is all about money because i know there are much better things to do than sitting in a truck for 4-5 weeks.just a different philosophy.

8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I know it is all about money for most of us.
    Just, not me.

The thing is, I can really enjoy my job because I don't worry about that aspect.

9. cannonrush

cannonrush Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    No one wants to hire drivers with no experience. I tried. Most want a year of experience or more. Even jb hunt wanted 3 months exp. that's why I'm working at swift. So it's hard to complain about the pay when the options are so limited

SHOJim Thanks this.
  10. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm a rookie at swift... In my seventh month.

I have a good shot at $1k and a three day weekend each week. Not that I get each every week.... And not that the job is without its BS.

The company has been great to me.
    I'm no cheerleader, you can search my post history. I had my doubts...

But it turns out, the company can be pretty good to you. You gotta LEARN, ASK Questions!

Training is not just about handling that truck and driving skills. It's about driving skills, industry knowledge, company operations, who is who, what is what, etc.

I have had a great time every step of the way!!

A21CAV and SHOJim Thank this.
  11. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    To the op...bro you'd be much better off as an HVAC helper or some such. Let's face it...trucking will always have a pant load of variables. I never drove for swift, so I can't speak to whether they are good or bad, but I DO know they provide opportunity. Stay home, you'll be much happier.

Sneakerfix and Canned Spam Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.