Salary/pay question

Discussion in 'Swift' started by cannonrush, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I ran pretty hard today and did 613 miles, with 28 minutes left on my 11.
    That would mean about 640 miles for a day, maxed out.
    And assuming I had a parking space available at just the right time with one minute to spare.

And running well over 3k for a week would probably mean the last week was short because a load didn't deliver in the last pay period. It delivered the first day of the next pay period, so that gave you an edge on the next.

There are some in this thread that don't work for Swift and have a higher limit on their speed.
    But at 62-63, there is a limit.
    Do the math.

With the required and needed breaks, the variability of available loads in any given area, fuelling needs, pre and post trips etc - you could expect to average 2500 miles per week at the speeds we run.
    If all goes well.

And personally, I think 75 in a big rig is plain stupid as well as dangerous.
    These people fly past me, weaving and swerving, barely in control.

JOHNQPUBLIC, slim shady and SHOJim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Nobody is weaving and swerving flying past you because they have to be much more focused driving at 75 than you at 62.It is actually me being affraid of the guy i am passing weaiving and swerving.And trust me i am in full control of vehicle.

4. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Btw my friend,when i got my license a year ago the first truck i was given to drive as a total rookie was 2014 Prostar Eagle + with 40k miles on odo.that truck was leased from Ryder and had max speed of 86 mph which i wasn't scared to use so 75 mph doesn't seem all that fast to me.frankly speaking in this Prostar on flat fairly straight road only once i met a guy i couldn't pass because he was as fast as me.driving it was a lot of fun!

5. Jourayce

Jourayce Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Mississippi
    Your assumption are correct but I wouldn't go that high due to the fact that you will have to go home and have off time so 52 weeks will not be possible. So 30 to 35 thousand sounds about right. My first year at swift I kinda rushed the whole trucking process by becoming a lease purchase driver after 3 months and hired a co driver that same day. Later i started training when they allowed me too. I made around 75 thousand my first year. But I had to train some students and that's not for everbody. When you train they pay you for your miles and the students miles, and they cater to you because you are a mentor. Just a thought if you really wanted to maximize your earnings. This plan is not for everbody.

6. beachin

beachin Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    Based on what I have seen, truck miles show almost 50K but pay shows 19,600. I think Swift screws people big time. If you are able to get good runs between the weather, the terminal F' ups and problems with what is suppose to be a live load and you wait for 22 hours etc. getting paid anything over 41K your first year is pretty difficult.

7. beachin

beachin Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    Can you please tell me what and how you are getting paid actual mileage because my husband is screwed every week as well.

8. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    The worst part of this is learning to work the Swift system, and I assume all companies have one. How you get the best miles, how you keep moving, who you call and who you call after that to get things moving, get your fair pay, to learn routes remember who ships from where and how you can use it to your advantage.

For example Beachin, when your man comes home he can ask for a Costco load up to Vegas when he leaves, a Sterilite load from there out, Clearwater paper is another great shipper-reciever if you can get one up to ID, you can drop there and get a load out. Lots of DM like a proactive driver who isn't only looking on the Qualcomm but who is calling saying I will be at blank on Monday can you get me blank leaving from there?

As for pay Steve went lease ASAP, he wanted and got freedom and more time off and more money. But he is very serious about his business and making money. After 5 years though he is looking into being at home more and what else he can do. We are looking at all the options.

Mentors should be better, but there doesn't seem to be any oversite on them. Even leasing I often wonder if there should be a lease mentoring program to show new leasee's or wannabes how to be a successful leaser, because it can be done.

9. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    To be successful with a lease one has to have a head for business.
    There really are not that many people that do, unless they have some background in business and in running a company.

While I am a smart person, in many respects, I do know my limitations.
    Running a business is not my thing.
    I am simply too lazy to care about all those details, details, and more details.

Others are not so lazy, but simply don't have the aptitude.

Going lease does give a certain amount of freedom. But it comes at a very high price.

10. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    I simply write down miles from navigation and then add them up at the end of week.The thing is that I drive for a small company so when there is a problem with miles I can talk to the owner directly.It probably wouldn't work if I drove for those mega carriers.

11. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Swift won't just adjust in those extra miles, but if the percentage is too high they will 'meet you in the middle'.

I have had loads that were 20% short from actual miles, some of them the longer loads.
    When that happens I'll send a QC message to my DM giving the actual miles that I drove on the company's fuel route.
    Whenever I've done that, the miles were adjusted in my favor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.