Sammons trucking L/P. The good, the bad, and the fine print.

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Kritter11B3, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Kritter11B3

Kritter11B3 Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Ok, so here it is my current experience with Sammons and their lease purchase program. I am a driver. I don't see many post about them so thought I'd drop my 2 cents. First of all I'll break down the pay because that is usually the first question that comes up. Now sammons boast a 26% take home reguardless, while this is true the fine print here is 26%of what's left. You are paid last sammons is paid second after fuel surcharge. So I'll use my numbers from last week to give you the breakbdown. I book my own freight so I get 28% of what's left. All my loads were booked as all in flat rates.

$5375.00 line haul
    $ 481.93 FSC (fine print alert) sammons takes the national average FSC and multiplies that against your loaded miles then subtracts it from your linehaul. So it's linehaul - FSC here. They do not give it to you they create it for you.
    So to figure pay here it is:
    5375.00-481.93= 4893.07 total LH
    4893.07x.75= 3669.80 "your cut"
    3669.80x.28= 1027.54 "your pay before taxes"
    You pay sammons $1223.267
    You take home $1027.54
    Your truck gets $2642.26 (payments, taxes, fuel, ect. Ect.)
    Miles ran 3468÷1027.267= .296 cpm to me
    3468÷1223.267= .352 cpm to sammons
    So as far as pay goes, last week was not so bad. But my 28% pay was lower than Sammons 25%. But this is what happens when you are paid last. I will say that next to the truck getting 72%, I pay sammons more weekly than I spend in fuel. Not too mention you pay maintenance on their trailers through "rent". I have no option to buy a trailer unless through an outside source, don't really like it. If I'm forced to pay I would at least like to have a choice in what I pull.. Not a fan of voluntold.
    Trucks, here's the skinny. If you're a company driver right now next time you are at a terminal go and find all the trucks that your company is getting rid of. 500 thousand mile+ trucks headed to an auction. That's what you get. And as far as choice goes, good luck. I had one truck to choose from that I did not want but had to have my name on before going to orientation. Of which I'm having Hella problems with now... I know I know, red flags. Not to mention when you show up a trailer is already attached and you get whatever securement comes with it, they'll just fill in what's missing.... and charge you for it at 12%. I got 2 lumber tarps that were froze to my deck and when I asked for new ones was told that those "just came out" of the tarp shop. Ok sure, luckily I had my own tarps at home.. We'll just say those looked like turkey shoot targets.. anyway moving on, you get a chain rack/headache rack for your 10 chains and binders. So you get to strap those nice high dollar tarps to your deck. Which I must say is a complete blast moving them around to accommodate freight. Fun times.. you get 10 4" straps 2 4" chain straps.(oh and I got the ones with no chain end, just the the little metal triangle, yay) I asked the maintenance guy (his name rhymes with ron) what am I'm supposed to do with those, he looked and said, "just use your chain".. sweet, so I'll hook a 20' chain to a 30' strap. Sounds legit. And you get 2 2" ratchet binders (which I use to keep all my goodies strapped to my deck). Now don't get discouraged, they will provide you all the extras you need on the road at cost plus 12% interest. Well, except load levelers. "We don't buy those over the road" as it was politely said to me..
    Moving on. Here's what you won't find on the Ole interweb. The loan for your truck. There is no minimal monthly payment. So for all you smart guys trying use conventional wisdom from past experience with a loan, throw it out the window and grab a can of WTF.. I've asked over and over and will not get a straight answer about it. You run freight and at the end of the month they'll tell you what you paid to your truck. Sounds good right, well let's talk about that loan... It's an open loan. See, since you don't have a maintenance account or escrow, that goes on your loan. And not the back of the loan, the front of your loan. So anytime you need major repairs guess what your not doing, that's right boys and girls paying on your truck. Oh, and you get repairs plus 12%. So once you pay for your repair then you get to start paying for your truck again. Are you just falling in love yet? I'm getting wood just typing all this up. Oh, don't think you get to just roll up to any shop and get fixed what needs to be fixed. They want you to go to a shop they recommend and then cut you out of the repair process.
    So here's the bottom line
    The good: you can pay a truck off fast if you have some kind of work ethic. Granted your truck holds together. And you won't go negative ever. But start slacking or not meet their expected numbers, get ready for the phone to start ringing
    The bad: if you have any kind of bills at home, sell that crap or be prepared to lose some of it. Take home pay is not a priority here. You get what you get and either like or fall into "our program isn't for everyone"
    The fine print: an open ended loan with no control except for choosing your freight. No set payment schedule, no defined payoff date, and a lot of questions. But keep those to yourself or again, your phone starts ringing.

So is sammons for everyone? No
    Is sammons for me? It's a means to an end right now
    Can you successfully buy a truck? Yes, but will have very little value once owned
    Take what you will from this. And please note that individual experiences may vary and void where prohibited.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    I just puked. That's what you call a serious ### reaming.

MachoCyclone Thanks this.
  4. Kritter11B3

Apr 24, 2011
    It's comes dry at that

5. milliken350

milliken350 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Billings, MT
    I got a buddy at Sammon's and he's doing ok. I can't sign on or I would have but thanks for your input

6. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

Oh, for hecks sake. Get out of MT.

7. Kritter11B3

Apr 24, 2011
    ??

8. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
  9. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Ok, first off the $1223 (25%) is carrier's fee that you will pay for leasing to any carrier. They don't book loads, manage collections, etc, etc for free. Some charge less, some more... but 25% is fairly common.

So for comparison sake, you need to forget the gross to the carrier (4893.07) and look at the gross to the truck (3669.80).

You also should be getting the FSC (481.93) added back to that 3669.80 which brings your gross to the truck to 4151.73. I don't see it added back in anywhere?

Your operating expenses (2642.26) calculate to 76 cents per mile which is very good considering a truck payment, ins, etc..and fuel for 3468 miles.

The shortages that pop out to me would be, where did the 481.93 FSC go? And the revenue per mile including the FSC comes out to 1.19/mile to the truck which is low. I suppose the time of year and market conditions could account for a lot of that though. I would definitely have a problem with not having a choice of trucks. I'm not signing a dxxx thing that obligates me to something that someone else chooses for me.

3468 miles is a lot of miles in a week (I'm assuming those are weekly numbers?). I would probably look for better paying loads and run fewer miles. I would for sure find out where that FSC money is at.

As far as the lease goes, I would have to see a lot more detail, but it sounds as though they have it set up so that repair expenses don't cause you to lose the truck. It actually sounds like it has a chance of being legit to me. The 12% is what they want for loaning you money. The 25% that they take off the top is standard. Life sucks, then we die. You are in a LP, it's not supposed to be the best situation. As you said, it's a means to an end... an end that you likely can't get to any other way? That truck may not have a lot of value left when it's paid off, but if it is running and pulling freight, it can generate every penny of revenue that a 150k new truck can generate.

So, from an outsider, here is what I see. Yeah, you didn't get to choose the truck. That sucks but you're there. Make the best of it unless it's just a total pos. You are surviving in a bad market and bad season for freight (there is a LOT of positive in that). I see you as a person who signed up for something that you didn't expect to be easy. Hardly anything ever goes as well as we want, even we plan some negatives. Now, you are in neck deep, there may be some sharks circling, maybe not. You can choose to see it through or give it up, your choice. For what it's worth, I suspect you'll make it and you'll learn a LOT more than you think.

Find that FSC money!

10. Kritter11B3

Apr 24, 2011
    Well the post relations to numbers was strictly to help people figure out take home pay. But I used my personal numbers. And yeah, I'd rather keep freight on my deck and moving instead of waiting on home run loads. Experience has taught me more often than not, that waiting for the right paying load can hurt more than it helps. But that's my experience. And my choice. I just like to stay moving. And in reality everything minus my 28% goes to sammons. It's a way for them to assure fuel payment. It's their fuel card after all. And I'm sure if I was running their freight that would be factored in to their contract as rate + FSC. But I broker my own therfore creating a rate - FSC situation.
    Looking at the numbers as a whole, while it does bring the the overall average up, but the bottom line is still the same.
    And this is not my first rodeo with a lease, and not new to trucking. And like all leases, it's geared toward the company. But I did say, "if you have any kind of work ethic, you can buy a truck". The trick is keeping maintenance low, because it does stop you paying for your truck. And the take home just doesn't really allow you to save personally to offset their 12% interest.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I understand, I missed the part about everything else going to sammons. I imagine that is where the fsc money went? As long as you can account for it and know its not being skimmed out..its all good. Should really help with the truck payoff.

There is something to be said for keeping the wheels rolling. It helps with all of the fixed expenses. I've gotten burned by waiting for better revenue myself.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.