San Diego. Experienced, but long lapse in CDL. Clean record. Western or Dedicated solo out of SoCal?

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by Phantaztix, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantaztix

Phantaztix Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Hello everyone. I drove from 1998 for several years and about 2006 I let my Class-A lapse as I had changed industries and didn't think I would need it again. Well, now I do.

I had started my career with CRST, and you can guess why I left. I then went on to a flatbed company that I really liked. But I was stuck running stoche glass from Stockton (yes, LOF), to Phoenix. It was too demanding for the pay, but I loved the company. Unfortunately they are no longer in business. After the flatbed I went reefer and although the company wasn't good, the work with reefer was awesome. I left OTR and went local for dry van and heavy equipment hauling. I then changed industries because of an awesome offer, so that's where the Class-A ended. There are some smaller things in there I did with a temp company for a while, but that was just bouncing with reefer or bus or whatever they had for me.

My most recent industry was in aerospace with my last job in management-level, but after a large layoff I haven't been able to find an appropriate position and would rather take a pay cut to drive than fight in the cutthroat world of corporate management.

What I'm looking to do is go back on the road solo in dry or reefer. I don't mind being out 14-21 days at a time. I would prefer 14, but I'll do what I have to.

To accomplish this, I'm willing to pay myself through a local trucking school's "Refresher" course which is usually about 40 hours of mostly driving. This let's me get my Class-A license in full.
    -or-
    I'm willing to go through a company program if it isn't too long and I don't have to spend the next 3 months with a trainer.

I consider myself very skilled and an excellent driver. Mechanically inclined and able to think on my feet. I never had any accidents or incidents or damage to commercial vehicles. Nothing on my 10 year record, no criminal history what-so-ever. I don't have a passport but I will get one if needed to run Canada.

Are there any companies willing to give this former trucker a try? If I pay my own way to getting my Class-A back, it will be about the end of October/beginning of November. If the company will sponsor, I'm available anytime after October 1st.

I cannot relocate, but I'm open to any possibilities. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I recommend contacting some companies you like and explain your situation and ask what they would require to hire you.
    Your situation is not uncommon at all, but most kept their CDL is the big difference.
    Some companies hire former drivers that have a long gap in driving and may hire you after a refresher. Contact a few and ask.
    Transport America - dry van
    Northern Refrigerated Transportation - reefer
    Watkins-Shepard - dry van
    Freymiller - reefer
    KKW Trucking - dry van
    Swift Transportation - dry van & reefer(also has refresher)
    James H. Clark & Son
    DSW Trucking - dry van pulling Swift trailers(has their own school)
    Navajo Express - reefer, has drop yard in Chino. Has some dedicated Western routes.

Phantaztix Thanks this.
  4. Phantaztix

Phantaztix Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for the info Chinatown. I realize I should have kept my CDL years ago, but when it came due for the medical and renewal at the same time I thought it was too much to pay for something I wouldn't use. What a mistake that was!

I have contacted a few companies to see what they say and a couple of them sound promising and a couple don't. I don't want to get stuck with a mega and have to be on the hook for training fees like I made the mistake of with CRST. But I also don't mind a mid-sized or small company who would sponsor if they were more personable than the megas.

Hopefully someone who hires out of SoCal will see this and be able to offer something acceptable. I'm not asking for the world, just a bit of confidence in me and a chance to earn livable money.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Coastal Transport has a terminal in San Diego. Tankers hauling fuel.

Phantaztix Thanks this.
  6. AG EXPRESS TRANSPORTATION

AG EXPRESS TRANSPORTATION Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Hi,
    AG EXPRESS TRANSPORTION out of Tracy CA is looking for experienced drivers like yourself. Give us a call at 209-835-5811 for more info.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.