sand can blowers

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Superior Trucking, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Superior Trucking

Superior Trucking Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2014
    ND Oil Fields
    Question for the experienced pneumatic sand can operators. I know that usually there is quite a large amount of air volume "CFM" required to blow the material out of the trailer. Has anyone here hauled fly ash? It's really lite and powdery compared to sand. Could a guy get away with a lot less air flow for the fly ash? He's wondering if he can use his 350 cfm vac pump to blow the ash for now to get started, and buy a bigger blower later on. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    I believe in principle it would work, but long term I do not see it being feasible. Unloading fly ash takes a long time and will without a doubt overheat a vacuum pump and along with the that the sheer difference the airflow will cause extremely long unloading times. In my opinion it would work for an emergency load here and there but it is definitely not a long term solution or possibility

4. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I don't think 350 cfm is enough volume to do the job. Most pneumatic blowers I've run across are between 900-1200 cfm IIRC.

5. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    it would take you FOREVER to unload with that little of pressure and you could barley open valves.
    if you want to open 3 valves at least half way and let it go, you need a big blower. Ir tuthill 1080 gardner12 inch etc...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.